cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2008, 08:14 PM   #11
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
That makes sense. Thanks DDD.
Out of curiosity, what goes through your mind as you sit with these women?

Is it rage? pity? awkward tension?

What do you talk about?

that is a horrible experience for these women, so i am sure the emotions must be all over the map for them.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:26 PM   #12
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

ANyone can feel the spirit IMO, and Triplet makes a nice explanation of why this si true. However, I think it lkeaves BDB's quesiton unanswered. Is the sort of subconscious awareness of dnager, or an urge to flee, spiritual or instinctual? Are we saying that ALL people feel the spirit at those moments ALL the time?

Some may be the spirt, some may be insticnt. It hink we are hard wired to perceive certain sensory input as indicative of elevated risk. One might suppose God created us this way (as I do) but leaving faith out of it, I thihnk this sort of sense of danger is somethign that we come equipped with whether or nto we are seeking the spriit, whether or not we are feeling like we need the spirit and whether or not we are living the gospel.

That being said, I also believe that some persons in some circumstances recieve more specific urges and psiritual promptings that tranascend our normal reactions, but that could only be decided subjectively on a case by case basis.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:24 PM   #13
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Out of curiosity, what goes through your mind as you sit with these women?

Is it rage? pity? awkward tension?

What do you talk about?

that is a horrible experience for these women, so i am sure the emotions must be all over the map for them.
I don't know quite how to explain it, but I don't feel pity for the woman, I usually feel love for them. I think that sounds weird, but it's true. I can't ever remember having felt any anger, but I understand why that seems like a logical response. In fact, before they start the exam the forensic nurse interviews the victim about what happened, and one of the nurses inparticular gets pretty worked up during the interviews.

As far as what we talk about, I have to really play it by ear. Some of the women really want to talk about what happened. For others they're really numb, and they don't want to talk much at all, but they're generally pretty inclined to sit there and listen to me ramble on about anything and everything that comes to mind. Some women just want to be distracted, and they're really eager to chit-chat about their family, their job, music, tv, etc. I've heard that occasionally you'll get one that is cracking jokes, or one that is really enraged, but I haven't encountered either of those responses thus far.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:49 PM   #14
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

An interesting issue, BDB. I would want the notion of "instinct" refined a bit. If it accounts for the subtle, often semi-conscious awareness of non-verbal communication, than I think instinct plays a role. I find people are often describing subtle non-verbal communication when they use the spiritual language of "countenance."

In that sense, trust your instincts.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:09 PM   #15
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
I don't know quite how to explain it, but I don't feel pity for the woman, I usually feel love for them. I think that sounds weird, but it's true. I can't ever remember having felt any anger, but I understand why that seems like a logical response. In fact, before they start the exam the forensic nurse interviews the victim about what happened, and one of the nurses inparticular gets pretty worked up during the interviews.

As far as what we talk about, I have to really play it by ear. Some of the women really want to talk about what happened. For others they're really numb, and they don't want to talk much at all, but they're generally pretty inclined to sit there and listen to me ramble on about anything and everything that comes to mind. Some women just want to be distracted, and they're really eager to chit-chat about their family, their job, music, tv, etc. I've heard that occasionally you'll get one that is cracking jokes, or one that is really enraged, but I haven't encountered either of those responses thus far.
I had a student who was sexually assaulted two years ago. She missed a good chunk of class while she was dealing with medical and law enforcement personnel. One thing she told me was that the woman who sat with her while she was at the clinic was a huge help to her and really kept her from just losing it altogether. Again, my hat's off to you for doing this job.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:42 AM   #16
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
But when he comes again, he'll be wearing red.
So, if he goes to the game, at least he'll be cheering for the right team.
Most BYU fans don't know what color to wear, why would Jesus be any different?
Old 09-15-2008, 05:44 AM   #17
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
ANyone can feel the spirit IMO, and Triplet makes a nice explanation of why this si true. However, I think it lkeaves BDB's quesiton unanswered. Is the sort of subconscious awareness of dnager, or an urge to flee, spiritual or instinctual? Are we saying that ALL people feel the spirit at those moments ALL the time?

Some may be the spirt, some may be insticnt. It hink we are hard wired to perceive certain sensory input as indicative of elevated risk. One might suppose God created us this way (as I do) but leaving faith out of it, I thihnk this sort of sense of danger is somethign that we come equipped with whether or nto we are seeking the spriit, whether or not we are feeling like we need the spirit and whether or not we are living the gospel.

That being said, I also believe that some persons in some circumstances recieve more specific urges and psiritual promptings that tranascend our normal reactions, but that could only be decided subjectively on a case by case basis.
Most of your posts confirm to me that drunk people can feel the spirit.