cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2008, 01:31 PM   #11
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Your comment that support for Prop. 8 was emboldening the bigots suggests that Church leaders are more righteous than the bigots and the bigots being emboldened is an unfortunate by-product, that in a sense bigots are even taking advantage of church leaders who are at worst guilty of naivete. You need to belly up and acknowkedge that the Church leaders are themselves as bigoted as any of the people on CB you deplore, the king bigots and lords of the minion bigots, and therefore more despicable than the bigots on CB.
Aye-aye, Captain Hyperbole.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:41 PM   #12
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Over here, I get slammed for suggesting that gays are the unknown "other" to most. As if every one of these guys has multiple gay relatives and friends like ERCougar suggested.

SoCalCoug is for Prop 8, I think.
tick is for it.
my dad is for it.

It's very clear that it has been very EASY for the church to rally members to its side, and they have bought into the fear very quickly, and are propagating it to everyone else.
I agree.

Somehow, people seem to think that saying "I'm going to preface this with 'love the sinner but hate the sin'" gives them license to spew hate, intolerance, and fear with a smug reassurance of righteous authority and indignation.

Whether it passes or fails, some of the religious rhetoric coming from supporters of Prop. 8 has really disgusted me.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:47 PM   #13
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Your comment that support for Prop. 8 was emboldening the bigots suggests that Church leaders are more righteous than the bigots and the bigots being emboldened is an unfortunate by-product, that in a sense bigots are even taking advantage of church leaders who are at worst guilty of naivete. You need to belly up and acknowkedge that the Church leaders are themselves as bigoted as any of the people on CB you deplore, the king bigots and lords of the minion bigots, and therefore more despicable than the bigots on CB.
By the way, stop trying to twist this around to suit your trolling needs. I have been consistent on my position on this issue from day one. I am not happy with the position of the church leadership and I have never said that they were simply guilty of naivete.

Believe it or not, it is possible to love an organization and still have disagreements from time to time. Abandonment and bitterness are not the only reasonable responses.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:35 PM   #14
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Over here, I get slammed for suggesting that gays are the unknown "other" to most. As if every one of these guys has multiple gay relatives and friends like ERCougar suggested.

SoCalCoug is for Prop 8, I think.
tick is for it.
my dad is for it.

It's very clear that it has been very EASY for the church to rally members to its side, and they have bought into the fear very quickly, and are propagating it to everyone else.
I never said anything about CB--they frighten me a little. In fact, I believe I referred to them as a "freakshow".

Over here, I think most people have at least a few gay friends and associates. Am I wrong?
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:56 PM   #15
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

A friend of mine, who is LDS, joined a group on Facebook called "No on Prop 8 | Don't Eliminate Marriage for Anyone", to which someone responded on his Facebook page with, "I never thought that you would support something in which the whole agenda is to destroy the family. Have you not been listening to the prophets?" What do you say to the person who responds like that?
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:18 PM   #16
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
A friend of mine, who is LDS, joined a group on Facebook called "No on Prop 8 | Don't Eliminate Marriage for Anyone", to which someone responded on his Facebook page with, "I never thought that you would support something in which the whole agenda is to destroy the family. Have you not been listening to the prophets?" What do you say to the person who responds like that?
You delete the comment from your wall and them from your friends list. Another reason I hate social networking sites where everyone can see what is posted.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:19 PM   #17
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm late to this, but my hat's off to Rocky and mpfunk for hanging in there.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 10-13-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:43 PM   #18
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
Wow- that is truly an unbelievable thread. Unreal that one aspect of the original post that wasn't ever even touched on (as far as I saw- I didn't read each thread), was the claim that it is easier to deal with a person's death than it is with them "coming out." That seems to suggest that, given the choice, he would prefer that a relative simply die than be gay.

Horrendous.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:01 PM   #19
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Wow- that is truly an unbelievable thread. Unreal that one aspect of the original post that wasn't ever even touched on (as far as I saw- I didn't read each thread), was the claim that it is easier to deal with a person's death than it is with them "coming out." That seems to suggest that, given the choice, he would prefer that a relative simply die than be gay.

Horrendous.
A few also said they'd prefer their child be born with downs syndrome instead of gay.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:11 PM   #20
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post

Horrendous.
That is the thought I had. Somehow death is better than being gay? wow Anytime world leaders perform genocide or ethnic cleansing it begins with thoughts like this.

Hitler thought the world would be a better place without Jews. It would be better if the Jews were dead.

The Hutus in Rawanda thought that the world would be a better place if they could just get rid of the Tutsi. It would be better if the Tutsi were dead.

If only those bosnian muslims could have been eradicated in time to save former Yugoslavia.

The list goes on and on.

Matador needs to check himself.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote