cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2008, 01:21 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A different reading of Abraham and Issac

I was watching a dumb special on the Mayan on the History channel, and it talked about the human sacrifices they performed in hopes of getting rain, etc.

It sparked an idea for a different reading of the account of Abraham and Isaac, which I am sure is not original, but not something I have really thought a lot about before.

The idea that God would command the sacrifice of Isaac is troubling for what it implies, at least to a lot of people. In the church we emphasize Abraham's willingness to kill, in the similitude of the Father allowing his Son to be killed. We also justify it by saying that Isaac was possibly an adult, and was therefore voluntarily submitting himself as well (because the idea of strapping an 8 year old to an altar and murdering him is even troubling to people who believe in blood atonement).

Another reading is this: that our God is merciful and does not require human sacrifice. The message being "we have a different kind of God that does not require human sacrifice, versus all these other religions you have heard about among other peoples."

In an era and time when the notion of human sacrifice would not have been foreign or unusual, the emphasis, while sitting around the campfire and recounting these stories/legends was on the merciful nature of NOT being required to perform the sacrifice. In contrast to the pagan religions that surrounded them.

Meanwhile in the 21st century we dicker about the ethics of the Judeo-Christian God concerning this event, perhaps missing the larger point which was used to differentiate the nature of God to these people thousands of years ago.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I was watching a dumb special on the Mayan on the History channel, and it talked about the human sacrifices they performed in hopes of getting rain, etc.

It sparked an idea for a different reading of the account of Abraham and Isaac, which I am sure is not original, but not something I have really thought a lot about before.

The idea that God would command the sacrifice of Isaac is troubling for what it implies, at least to a lot of people. In the church we emphasize Abraham's willingness to kill, in the similitude of the Father allowing his Son to be killed. We also justify it by saying that Isaac was possibly an adult, and was therefore voluntarily submitting himself as well (because the idea of strapping an 8 year old to an altar and murdering him is even troubling to people who believe in blood atonement).

Another reading is this: that our God is merciful and does not require human sacrifice. The message being "we have a different kind of God that does not require human sacrifice, versus all these other religions you have heard about among other peoples."

In an era and time when the notion of human sacrifice would not have been foreign or unusual, the emphasis, while sitting around the campfire and recounting these stories/legends was on the merciful nature of NOT being required to perform the sacrifice. In contrast to the pagan religions that surrounded them.

Meanwhile in the 21st century we dicker about the ethics of the Judeo-Christian God concerning this event, perhaps missing the larger point which was used to differentiate the nature of God to these people thousands of years ago.
You close-minded idiot. Don't you know that Abraham, Isaac, and Ishmael were all fictional? I have half a mind to throw my appletini right in your face.

(Interesting thought, though, in all seriousness.)
Old 10-14-2008, 03:21 AM   #3
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I like that insight. I remember my father telling me that he considered the story of Abraham and Isaac to be inconsistent with what we know about the character of God. I tend to see it as a story of a God that toys with Abraham in the cruelest imaginable way. But for people of that era maybe it seemed more like the story of a merciful God.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:48 AM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Don't you know that Abraham, Isaac, and Ishmael were all fictional?
I think Mike's allegorical reading all but presumes this.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:45 AM   #5
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I think Mike's allegorical reading all but presumes this.
Oh, so you're saying it really isn't necessary to point it out?

I think I actually can agree with that.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:24 PM   #6
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm totally stealing this idea and using it as my own next time I'm in sunday school--if they ever release me from being primary pianist.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:25 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
I'm totally stealing this idea and using it as my own next time I'm in sunday school--if they ever release me from being primary pianist.
All attribution must be given to Mike Waters.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote