cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2008, 05:33 AM   #1
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default This thread truly frightens me

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=4154833

Unfortunately, with my posting privileges on CB having been wrested from me for a season, I couldn't participate in this thread.

But some of the opinions expressed by some of the CB faithful in this thread truly scare me. In the sense that I'm worried that some of these people may hold significant church leadership callings, or may teach our children, or may have children of their own who they may raise to think like them.

For a church that places such importance on Truth, some of its members seem to have such loathing for truths and facts.

Maybe there really is some brainwashing going on within the church.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:48 PM   #2
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Indeed. It's unbelievable.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:15 PM   #3
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

I love the token "prophets are wrong, see: blacks and the priesthood" line. Nice one, mpfunk.

Do you folks ever come up with new material?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:19 PM   #4
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

The more I look at the church now vs the church back in the day, it becomes clear that orthodoxy and blind obedience were not necessarily considered virtues back then where now they are clear measures of faithfulness. I'd like to hear more from SIEQ on this.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:32 PM   #5
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I love the token "prophets are wrong, see: blacks and the priesthood" line. Nice one, mpfunk.

Do you folks ever come up with new material?
Why do you even respond to my thread when you obviously think I have nothing significant to say?

Feel free to ignore this, Tex. Go back to your little world where all I do is take potshots.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:34 PM   #6
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
The more I look at the church now vs the church back in the day, it becomes clear that orthodoxy and blind obedience were not necessarily considered virtues back then where now they are clear measures of faithfulness. I'd like to hear more from SIEQ on this.
It seems that obedience to God has somehow morphed into obedience to leaders. Outside of Tex, are there really that many people that literally believe when you disobey a leader, you are disobeying God?
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:36 PM   #7
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
It seems that obedience to God has somehow morphed into obedience to leaders. Outside of Tex, are there really that many people that literally believe when you disobey a leader, you are disobeying God?
Most folks still have D&C 1 in their scriptures. Did you tear yours out?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:39 PM   #8
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Depends on the leader. When you go against

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
the prophet, you are walking on dangerous ground. Unless of course you don't believe the prophet is truly a prophet. What do you think?
Old 10-23-2008, 02:47 PM   #9
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Most folks still have D&C 1 in their scriptures. Did you tear yours out?
Man has proven untrustworthy. If you want to rely on someone else to do your thinking, it is your prerogative. There is nothing in D & C 1 that requires us to obey leaders or think that leaders are equivalent to God.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:49 PM   #10
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
the prophet, you are walking on dangerous ground. Unless of course you don't believe the prophet is truly a prophet. What do you think?

This is an example of what I'm talking about.

http://www.signaturebookslibrary.org...y/chapter9.htm

Quote:
Let me illustrate, again using musty documents, why historians are inclined to be skeptical of concepts of human infallibility. At the October 1843 conference in Nauvoo, Joseph Smith proposed to drop Sidney Rigdon as his counselor, but the conference refused. The vote was on a motion to sustain Rigdon. It was made by William Marks, whom we can dismiss because he later went wrong, but it was seconded by Hyrum Smith, Joseph's other counselor (HC 6:47-49). Which of the prophet-brothers was inspired?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote