cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2008, 01:27 PM   #51
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I just lost a little respect for you due to this one. Democrats urging the admittance of violent criminals? Can't you do better than that?

On the other side, there really are many Republicans who are urging that all illegal aliens be rounded up arrested and deported.
What is many to you. 3%, 10%, 20%.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:47 PM   #52
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
What is many to you. 3%, 10%, 20%.
Start counting at three posts back. It is a widespread sentiment in the Republican party.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:21 PM   #53
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Start counting at three posts back. It is a widespread sentiment in the Republican party.
It's not true no matter how many times you repeat it, Cali.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:48 PM   #54
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
It's not true no matter how many times you repeat it, Cali.
You are telling me that many Republicans do NOT want to kick everyone out who is already here in conjunction with securing the border?

lol! At least you used to take positions that were arguably defensible.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:53 PM   #55
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You are telling me that many Republicans do NOT want to kick everyone out who is already here in conjunction with securing the border?

Well, it's kinda fun that you keep using the term "many". As long as you keep it nebulous, I suppose you can define it however you want.

But no, I don't think most Republicans (> 50%, and likely much more) want to "kick evereyone out." Most conservative commentators I've listened to talk about the impracticality of locating 12-20 million people and expelling them. Typically we are all open to ideas, AFTER the border is secured, so that whatever deal is worked out doesn't encourage a flood of fresh illegals.

But keep on demagoguing, Cali, in that little weird world you live in.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:21 PM   #56
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Riiiiiiight...
Nope Tex is right. That's how I feel and most of my conservative friends feel as well.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:28 PM   #57
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:

It's unrealistic to expect we can kick them all out even if we wanted to. What we can do is secure the borders and punish employers who hire illegal aliens. Many illegals will self-deport. ICE efforts can be focused on locating and deporting violent criminals and gang members. After the problem has proven to be solved (which I imagine to take a few years) then we discuss some sort of amnesty deal for those that remain.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:30 PM   #58
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I know I am late to this conversation. I grew up in Southern California where I had some illegal immigrant friends. I later served a Spanish speaking mission stateside. My compassion for these people has grown immensely. I have heard some of the saddest tales, from family members dying in the desert to coyotes ripping them off for thousands of dollars and abandoning them at the border only to be apprehended and deported. I have also heard of the deplorable conditions that would cause a university math professor to leave his country to work at Goodwill. I also had the unfortunate experience of having my teaching pool decimated by a raid of border agents of the Rahkra mushroom farm. They set up a road block and 3 buses waited to deport all the illegals they found.

I don't know that amnesty for all is the answer. But I think it should be granted to most based on certain conditions. I also think that we need additional security on our borders but that it shouldn't be kept by military. I also think it should be easier to obtain work and student visas and easier to obtain citizenship. I guess these are idealistic goals and I am not providing the means to obtain them. Just my thoughts.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:37 PM   #59
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
I know I am late to this conversation. I grew up in Southern California where I had some illegal immigrant friends. I later served a Spanish speaking mission stateside. My compassion for these people has grown immensely. I have heard some of the saddest tales, from family members dying in the desert to coyotes ripping them off for thousands of dollars and abandoning them at the border only to be apprehended and deported. I have also heard of the deplorable conditions that would cause a university math professor to leave his country to work at Goodwill. I also had the unfortunate experience of having my teaching pool decimated by a raid of border agents of the Rahkra mushroom farm. They set up a road block and 3 buses waited to deport all the illegals they found.

I don't know that amnesty for all is the answer. But I think it should be granted to most based on certain conditions. I also think that we need additional security on our borders but that it shouldn't be kept by military. I also think it should be easier to obtain work and student visas and easier to obtain citizenship. I guess these are idealistic goals and I am not providing the means to obtain them. Just my thoughts.
if you truly believe this, don't vote for Romney.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:40 PM   #60
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
if you truly believe this, don't vote for Romney.
One issue certainly doesn't determine who I will vote for. And if I were to base it off a singular issue then immigration would be a bit further down the list than something like the economy.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote