cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2007, 04:51 AM   #1
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Idiocracy

My ball and chain and I watched this movie last night. I had heard some good things about it, but expected a few laughs and a pretty bad movie. Instead I got a whole barrellful of laughs (a few of which left me gasping for air) and a movie that was not bad.

It was directed by Mike Judge of Office Space, King of the Hill, and Beavis and Butthead fame and it takes place after the Great Garbage Avalanche of 2505. Mankind has devolved,through the selective breeding of only the dummies, into a collection of dunces. Luckily, Luke Wilson and his hooker friend have been frozen and emerge to help the human race survive. Hilarity ensues.

I must offer a disclaimer. I have a very juvenile sense of humor, and am not offended by lots of cursing and potty humor. Rest assured that this film is in very poor taste, but it has cult classic written all over it.

Any other views?
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:54 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
My ball and chain and I watched this movie last night. I had heard some good things about it, but expected a few laughs and a pretty bad movie. Instead I got a whole barrellful of laughs (a few of which left me gasping for air) and a movie that was not bad.

It was directed by Mike Judge of Office Space, King of the Hill, and Beavis and Butthead fame and it takes place after the Great Garbage Avalanche of 2505. Mankind has devolved,through the selective breeding of only the dummies, into a collection of dunces. Luckily, Luke Wilson and his hooker friend have been frozen and emerge to help the human race survive. Hilarity ensues.

I must offer a disclaimer. I have a very juvenile sense of humor, and am not offended by lots of cursing and potty humor. Rest assured that this film is in very poor taste, but it has cult classic written all over it.

Any other views?
I haven't even heard of it, but it sounds like a movie that is right up my alley.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:02 AM   #3
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I haven't even heard of it, but it sounds like a movie that is right up my alley.
It got literally zero advertising by Fox. They shelved it for a couple of years before release for some reason. Then they released it to six theaters.

So that is part of the reason that I thought it might be pretty bad. But I was most pleasantly surprised.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:20 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
It got literally zero advertising by Fox. They shelved it for a couple of years before release for some reason. Then they released it to six theaters.

So that is part of the reason that I thought it might be pretty bad. But I was most pleasantly surprised.
Well, all the good movies get ignored and the lousy ones are forced upon us. That's why Strange Brew didn't get a lot of press and Somewhere in Time did.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:11 PM   #5
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought Idiocracy was pretty good. Luke Wilson did a decent job, but his attorney stole the show. He played the role of an idiot in a very convicing way.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:46 PM   #6
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

When this movie was finally released and shelved by many, there were some critics that did comment that it was not a beautiful work of art but that deserved much, much better than this. Not bad reviews on rottentomatoes either: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/idiocracy/

I have not yet seen it but I will be watching it this week.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 05:46 PM   #7
UteStar

My wife and I watched it and it was very funny. Surprisingly so. Low brow humor throughout but funny nonetheless. I loved how they showed how the name 'Fudruckers' has morphed over the years. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:32 PM   #8
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
My wife and I watched it and it was very funny. Surprisingly so. Low brow humor throughout but funny nonetheless. I loved how they showed how the name 'Fudruckers' has morphed over the years. Thanks for the suggestion.
I also liked the Fuddruckers take. There were a lot of funny shots at prominent corporations. Going to law school at Costco, Starbucks as a jackhouse, Carls Jr. vending machines, and the replacement of water with sports drinks.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 04:46 AM   #9
UteStar

"Electrolytes that plants need!"
Old 02-11-2007, 04:53 AM   #10
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post