cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2006, 03:21 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brodie was frigid?

I've started the Bringhurst biography, and he introduces the idea that Fawn Brodie's mother really hated sex. And then he says this presages Fawn's own life. And in part explained her fascination with her subjects' sex lives.

You also get the impression that her life was so insular in the Huntsvill/Ogden area that it was a real shock to see the outside world, that not everyone was a Mormon. It was a different age, a different place.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:41 PM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
I've started the Bringhurst biography, and he introduces the idea that Fawn Brodie's mother really hated sex. And then he says this presages Fawn's own life. And in part explained her fascination with her subjects' sex lives.

You also get the impression that her life was so insular in the Huntsvill/Ogden area that it was a real shock to see the outside world, that not everyone was a Mormon. It was a different age, a different place.
Nice hit piece. Your title doesn't match the content of your post, the Bringhurst biography, or the known facts.

BTW, I noticed the other day on Amazon that her Thomas Jefferson biography is back in publication.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:48 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I meant to say that the author said Fawn's mothers views on sex foreshadowed Fawn's views on sex. Was that not clear?

Fawn's mother didn't like sex.

Unless you are one to say that 'frigid' is not a fair descriptor for someone who doesn't like sex.

I don't make a value judgement here. Apparently you do. So what are your values in this area, that makes my statement a hit piece?

Of course we know you don't actually have any information about Brodie's sex life. But we do know, that like Brodie, you tenaciously hold your views despite all contrary evidence (another thing that Bringhurst brings up in the early part of the biography, again presaged by her character in childhood).
Old 08-23-2006, 04:06 PM   #4
SeattleUte

Quote:
I meant to say that the author said Fawn's mothers views on sex foreshadowed Fawn's views on sex. Was that not clear?

Fawn's mother didn't like sex.

Unless you are one to say that 'frigid' is not a fair descriptor for someone who doesn't like sex.

I don't make a value judgement here. Apparently you do. So what are your values in this area, that makes my statement a hit piece?

Of course we know you don't actually have any information about Brodie's sex life. But we do know, that like Brodie, you tenaciously hold your views despite all contrary evidence (another thing that Bringhurst brings up in the early part of the biography, again presaged by her character in childhood).
I understand frigid to mean that the woman doesn't like sex. My value judgment is that this is not a positive trait in a woman. My perspective is a mainstream one, particularly among heterosexual men. Frigidy is something that shrinks specialize in trying to cure. There's nothing we know about Brodie to suggest she was frigid; your title suggests there is evidence of this. If by "Brodie" you meant her mother you should have made your title more clear. It's misleading as written.

As for your characterization that I "tenaciously hold [my] views despite all contrary evidence" I refer you to recent threads on gurreilla warfare and Michael Quinn, in which I modified my views once confronted with evidence.

I would say that anyone as learned as you who continues to spout the LDS company line is by definition one who "tenacioiusly holds your views despite all contrary evidence."

—Paul Auster
Old 08-23-2006, 04:13 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I don't know how to make this more clear to you. Bringhurst says that Brodie's mother's frigidness foreshadows Brodies' views on sex. That's my evidence. You may not like the evidence, but that doesn't mean I don't have evidence.

As far as I know, there is no LDS company line on Brodie's sex life. Perhaps you can enlighten me.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:19 PM   #6
SeattleUte

Quote:
As far as I know, there is no LDS company line on Brodie's sex life. Perhaps you can enlighten me.
That's not what I meant. I meant the generic company line.

I don't see Brodie emulating her mother in hardly any respect.

—Paul Auster
Old 08-23-2006, 04:23 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte
That's not what I meant. I meant the generic company line.

I don't see Brodie emulating her mother in hardly any respect.
Frankly, the thought of two old women getting in on, doesn't do it for me, but you guys can have at it.

I'm with Goat on this one, bring on Jenna.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:25 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Do you know anything about Brodie's mother?

I am guessing not.

Did you know that Brodie's mother had only marginal (if any) faith in LDS doctrine? (this per Bringhurst).

I would say that is a fairly significant emulation.

But, since you disagree, I want to hear your side. Tell me how Brodie and her mother were so worlds apart.

I take it you will introduce Brodie's mother's background (the Brimhalls), as Bringhurst does, and instead of relating to Brodie, will explain how this is very different from Brodie.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:33 PM   #9
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Would somebody please tell me that I am not seeing a thread wherein two men are arguing over whether somebody said a woman who is now dead was frigid or not?
Old 08-23-2006, 04:35 PM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American
Would somebody please tell me that I am not seeing a thread wherein two men are arguing over whether somebody said a woman who is now dead was frigid or not?
Now that truly brings to mind an image of dead and buried, a decayed corpse is about as frigid as one can get?