cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2008, 02:52 AM   #1
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 30 leading economists endorse Edwards?

http://www.johnedwards.com/news/pres...02-economists/

this is impossible. free trade is the only thing economists agree on, and John Edwards is the world's biggest protectionist.

by the way, Prestowitz on that list is an MBA, not an economist.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:15 AM   #2
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
http://www.johnedwards.com/news/pres...02-economists/

this is impossible. free trade is the only thing economists agree on, and John Edwards is the world's biggest protectionist.

by the way, Prestowitz on that list is an MBA, not an economist.
If I were a self-interest type of guy, I would vote for a protectionist.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:21 AM   #3
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
If I were a self-interest type of guy, I would vote for a protectionist.
Indeed. The OP makes it sound like protectionism is the opposite of capitalism, when any libertarian will tell you that staying out of other people's business includes avoiding the bombing and occupation of other countries.

I was reading a book the other day that talked about how economists are the most selfish people in the world because their constant indoctrination with the importance of allowing the market to do all the work suppresses their natural desire to help others. I immediately thought of Freddie over on CB. That guy is a piece of work.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:28 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
Indeed. The OP makes it sound like protectionism is the opposite of capitalism, when any libertarian will tell you that staying out of other people's business includes avoiding the bombing and occupation of other countries.

I was reading a book the other day that talked about how economists are the most selfish people in the world because their constant indoctrination with the importance of allowing the market to do all the work suppresses their natural desire to help others. I immediately thought of Freddie over on CB. That guy is a piece of work.
I'm not an economist, but I am an admitted selfish bastard. I'm the only one who truly gives a damn about me and my family, so economic self interest is how I cast my vote. Always has been and always will be.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:41 AM   #5
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I'm not an economist, but I am an admitted selfish bastard. I'm the only one who truly gives a damn about me and my family, so economic self interest is how I cast my vote. Always has been and always will be.
Right, and that's how many people feel. I find that to be a horribly selfish position. It's that attitude that has led to the extinction of the middle class, and more to my interests, the massive extinction taking place right now that may end up equaling or exceeding the level of extinction 65 million years ago. When people don't care about other people or the world around them, bad things happen.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote