cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2008, 04:22 AM   #41
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Saying that Israel practices apartheid, and "god bless" the idiot who said it, is intelligent?

I am saying nothing different about Islamic theocracies than scores of other experts have said. Apart from the poverty, the inability to provide basic public service to their populaces, these countries have the worst human rights records in the world right now, besides their tolerance for, giving aid and comfort to, or support for terrorism against civilians. They all have one thing in common. Palestine is no different.

Israel is democratic enough to have just forced its Prime Minister to resign. That's a pretty impressive sign. Like most any true democracy, Israel is a prosperous and nice place to live, because of what Israelis have done. I have no doubt that if the Palestinians weren't backed by Hamas and Hezbollah and engaging in terrorism they could be a part of that. It's the nature of liberal democracy.
rule #5 of conservatism: never be honest about Israel.

rule #34 of conservatism (expired now): never be honest about South Africa.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:31 AM   #42
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Saying that Israel practices apartheid, and "god bless" the idiot who said it, is intelligent?

I am saying nothing different about Islamic theocracies than scores of other experts have said. Apart from the poverty, the inability to provide basic public service to their populaces, these countries have the worst human rights records in the world right now, besides their tolerance for, giving aid and comfort to, or support for terrorism against civilians. They all have one thing in common. Palestine is no different.

Israel is democratic enough to have just forced its Prime Minister to resign. That's a pretty impressive sign. Like most any true democracy, Israel is a prosperous and nice place to live, because of what Israelis have done. I have no doubt that if the Palestinians weren't backed by Hamas and Hezbollah and engaging in terrorism they could be a part of that. It's the nature of liberal democracy.
Again you illustrate that don't have the faintest idea what is going on in the West Bank right now. And that you are more interested in waiving your hand with a few broad rationalizations than you are in addressing facts. Why don't you actually read the book and we can have a nice debate about his arguments? (it's pretty short - you can pretend it's a review)

You should stick to football. You have more knowledge in that area and are much less offensive.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:51 AM   #43
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Again you illustrate that don't have the faintest idea what is going on in the West Bank right now. And that you are more interested in waiving your hand with a few broad rationalizations than you are in addressing facts. Why don't you actually read the book and we can have a nice debate about his arguments? (it's pretty short - you can pretend it's a review)

You should stick to football. You have more knowledge in that area and are much less offensive.
You're suggesting I read a book called "Palestine: Peace not Apartheid" by Jimmy Carter to get the real, balanced story? Nobody believes this is anything other than a pamphlet that preaches to the converted.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:03 AM   #44
SeattleUte

The funny thing is Waters originally mentioned Carter's book as a troll, I'm sure.

—Paul Auster
Old 09-21-2008, 05:13 AM   #45
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You're suggesting I read a book called "Palestine: Peace not Apartheid" by Jimmy Carter to get the real, balanced story? Nobody believes this is anything other than a pamphlet that preaches to the converted.
Signed,

Sean Hannity
Old 09-21-2008, 09:42 PM   #46
SeattleUte

I love the way when I tangle with someone and just about the whole rest of the board agrees with me, everyone just sits quietly. I won't forget this, YOhio.

—Paul Auster
Old 09-21-2008, 09:47 PM   #47
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I love the way when I tangle with someone and just about the whole rest of the board agrees with me, everyone just sits quietly. I won't forget this, YOhio.
You'll rue the day you chose Triplet Dad over me.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:05 PM   #48
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I love the way when I tangle with someone and just about the whole rest of the board agrees with me, everyone just sits quietly.
Certainly it's a testament to our collective reverence for you that we hesitate to leap to your defense lest we inadvertently offend you with our sub-standard arguments for your cause.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:12 PM   #49
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Maybe we're just laughing at you silently while you play the narcissist.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:15 PM   #50
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Maybe we're just laughing at you silently while you play the narcissist.
"play"?
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote