cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2008, 01:03 PM   #21
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

I wish Collin Powell would have been the first African American president.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:28 PM   #22
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

While I still don't like the policies Obama espouses, I can grasp the significance of the moment and hope he has success as the President. It does me no good to wish for his failure just so the repubs can get back in.

Interestingly enough the first negative spin I saw on it came from Tavis Smiley, and African American talk show host. The gist of what he said is he fears Obama's election will make people think we aren't still a very racist society with a lot of inequities to cure.

I suppose you will hear this from Jackson and Reverend Al at some point. I assume they don't want to lose that card they play so well.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:44 PM   #23
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
While I still don't like the policies Obama espouses, I can grasp the significance of the moment and hope he has success as the President. It does me no good to wish for his failure just so the repubs can get back in.

Interestingly enough the first negative spin I saw on it came from Tavis Smiley, and African American talk show host. The gist of what he said is he fears Obama's election will make people think we aren't still a very racist society with a lot of inequities to cure.

I suppose you will hear this from Jackson and Reverend Al at some point. I assume they don't want to lose that card they play so well.
Don't worry, any opposition to an Obama proposal will be seen as racist. That label will always exist to eliminate discussion and debate.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:20 PM   #24
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

For the past several months I have been told by several people that this country was too racist to vote in an African American for President. I don't live or work in Utah (I'm in the midwest) and have heard this view constantly. A lot of people I work with have expressed that their were so many americans who would say they would vote for an African American but when at the polls do the opposite. Its at least refreshing to know that this subtle racism didn't happen.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:22 PM   #25
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
For the past several months I have been told by several people that this country was too racist to vote in an African American for President. I don't live or work in Utah (I'm in the midwest) and have heard this view constantly. A lot of people I work with have expressed that their were so many americans who would say they would vote for an African American but when at the polls do the opposite. Its at least refreshing to know that this subtle racism didn't happen.
The America is too racist was always a lie. The extent of racism, which still exists, is exaggerated for political advantage. And opposition to Obama's policies will likely be seen by Sharpton as racist as well. If a label works why bother with reason. Politics is about lies people like.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:23 PM   #26
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
I wish Collin Powell would have been the first African American president.
I'd have preferred JC Watts.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:25 PM   #27
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I'd have preferred JC Watts.
A Sooner in the Oval Office. I like it.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:27 PM   #28
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
A Sooner in the Oval Office. I like it.
It will be a real day, when a conservative African American Republican lesbian is elected President.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:40 PM   #29
cougarobgon

cougarobgon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Regardless of how you feel about Obama, today is one of the most remarkable and moving moments in American history. To think that at the founding of this great nation, Obama would have been 3/5ths of a person. To think of all those who have bled and died for equal rights for minorities, whose greatest aspiration would have been freedom for them and others, never even contemplating the possibility of a black president. To think that a mere 50 years ago, this nation was debating the merits of permitting blacks to eat in the same restaurant and drink from the same water fountain, and that an act as simple as sitting in the front of a bus would take courage and fortitude unlike anything most of us will ever experience.

Today is indeed one of the single greatest moments in American history. God bless America.

Now let's get started.

While last night was a great moment, were not there yet. I am looking forward to when someone with a last name like Sanchez, Hernandez, Lopez, Gonzalez, Perez, or Rodriguez gets that opportunity as well. There was a rising star from San Antonio during the Clinton years who was a cabinet member, but, he got caught with his pants down with a woman other than his wife and has since faded away. Given the number of Hispanics continues to rise in the US, that opportunity will come sooner rather than later.
cougarobgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:44 PM   #30
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarobgon View Post
While last night was a great moment, were not there yet. I am looking forward to when someone with a last name like Sanchez, Hernandez, Lopez, Gonzalez, Perez, or Rodriguez gets that opportunity as well. There was a rising star from San Antonio during the Clinton years who was a cabinet member, but, he got caught with his pants down with a woman other than his wife and has since faded away. Given the number of Hispanics continues to rise in the US, that opportunity will come sooner rather than later.
Bill Richardson is waiting in line. That beard is a killer.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote