cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2008, 06:50 PM   #31
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Does no one else find it interesting that Obama's heritage carries none of this history?

Furthermore, that after all this talk of "change," Cali focuses on race versus what this means in terms of future direction of the United States. Did race trump substance? Was Ferraro right?
Don't be silly. The magnitude of the moment last night existed because Obama is black. That doesn't mean he was elected BECAUSE he was black and that race trumped substance. To the contrary, race appeared to not matter at all in most states, which is precisely why the moment was so beautiful. While undoubtedly many still voted on race, most Americans voted on substance irrespective of race. If Obama were white, I would still be thrilled with the election precisely because of the substance of Obama's ideology, but it wouldn't be a momentous event in American history. It would be just like any other election where some ideas win and some lose. His race added another dynamic never before experienced in this nation. If you don't get it now, you never will.

And don't try to claim that Obama's heritage carried none of the history of civil rights problems in our nation's past. You don't need to be a descendent of slaves to share in that history. He was the son of a black father from Kenya (where many slaves, by the way, were captured and transported to the US). He has experienced racial injustice and the effect of this nation's struggle with civil rights as well.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:00 PM   #32
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post

And don't try to claim that Obama's heritage carried none of the history of civil rights problems in our nation's past. You don't need to be a descendent of slaves to share in that history. He was the son of a black father from Kenya (where many slaves, by the way, were captured and transported to the US). He has experienced racial injustice and the effect of this nation's struggle with civil rights as well.
Huh? Double take.

Most African slaves were from West Africa, not East Africa. Your argument doesn't make sense, and I acknowledge Noah's irony. The man who is black may have known some poverty, but once in our school systems, he became a man of privilege, and his ancestry never experienced the results of American racism. In one sense, he wasn't really AA, unless just being black and living in America makes you that.

If you have a link showing many US slaves came from Kenya, I'd be interested in seeing that, because it is contrary to what I learned years ago.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:30 PM   #33
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Huh? Double take.

Most African slaves were from West Africa, not East Africa. Your argument doesn't make sense, and I acknowledge Noah's irony. The man who is black may have known some poverty, but once in our school systems, he became a man of privilege, and his ancestry never experienced the results of American racism. In one sense, he wasn't really AA, unless just being black and living in America makes you that.

If you have a link showing many US slaves came from Kenya, I'd be interested in seeing that, because it is contrary to what I learned years ago.
Nobody but you said anything about where "most" African slaves originated. I said "many" came from Kenya (my recollection is that many were shipped out of Kenya to Zanzibar, and from there to other slave trading ports, most of which were in the Arabian Peninsula, but some of which involved subsequent sales to the Americas or Brazil). Regardless, slavery has a deep rooted history in Kenya, just as with most of the African continent.

And to say that Obama has lived a life of privilege and has never experienced the pains of this nation's racial struggles is awfully presumptuous of you.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:40 PM   #34
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
And to say that Obama has lived a life of privilege and has never experienced the pains of this nation's racial struggles is awfully presumptuous of you.
I agree. Obama had to face down the Sadducees, the Pharisees, and the scribes, not to mention going toe-to-toe with Roman Prefect of Jerusalem.

Lay off the guy.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:05 PM   #35
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Nobody but you said anything about where "most" African slaves originated. I said "many" came from Kenya (my recollection is that many were shipped out of Kenya to Zanzibar, and from there to other slave trading ports, most of which were in the Arabian Peninsula, but some of which involved subsequent sales to the Americas or Brazil). Regardless, slavery has a deep rooted history in Kenya, just as with most of the African continent.
A significant back track on a diversion. Now you're being silly. How can I even take you seriously?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:26 PM   #36
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarobgon View Post
While last night was a great moment, were not there yet. I am looking forward to when someone with a last name like Sanchez, Hernandez, Lopez, Gonzalez, Perez, or Rodriguez gets that opportunity as well. There was a rising star from San Antonio during the Clinton years who was a cabinet member, but, he got caught with his pants down with a woman other than his wife and has since faded away. Given the number of Hispanics continues to rise in the US, that opportunity will come sooner rather than later.
As long is it isn't Alberto Gonzalez. He doesn't believe that habeas corpus applies to individual Americans. How was he ever nominated and confirmed?
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:45 AM   #37
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
A significant back track on a diversion. Now you're being silly. How can I even take you seriously?
?

As an aside, I haven't really ever worried if myboynoah took me seriously or not. It is a bit of a badge of honor that you don't.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:29 AM   #38
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
?

As an aside, I haven't really ever worried if myboynoah took me seriously or not. It is a bit of a badge of honor that you don't.
Yet you continue to respond to my posts. There must be some allure for you.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:09 PM   #39
venomous viper

venomous viper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Don't be silly. The magnitude of the moment last night existed because Obama is black. That doesn't mean he was elected BECAUSE he was black and that race trumped substance. To the contrary, race appeared to not matter at all in most states, which is precisely why the moment was so beautiful. While undoubtedly many still voted on race, most Americans voted on substance irrespective of race. If Obama were white, I would still be thrilled with the election precisely because of the substance of Obama's ideology, but it wouldn't be a momentous event in American history. It would be just like any other election where some ideas win and some lose. His race added another dynamic never before experienced in this nation. If you don't get it now, you never will.

Actually, I believe obama is only 1/8 black--but if you check his lineage, he is 3/4 muslim. Can we therefore also call him our first muslim president? Six times more muslim than black. Just wondering..
venomous viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:35 PM   #40
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomous viper View Post
Actually, I believe obama is only 1/8 black--but if you check his lineage, he is 3/4 muslim. Can we therefore also call him our first muslim president? Six times more muslim than black. Just wondering..
Fellow Guarders, for the sake of full disclosure, I think it's time I come clean:

I'm half pentecostal and half Nazi. I know you wouldn't think it on first glance, but if you check my lineage, it's true.

I understand if you must banish me from your ranks.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote