cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 02:09 AM   #1
Nobody Special

Nobody Special
Default Anybody on here a flyfisherman?

I know that several of you are bikers. Well, maybe not "bikers". Just thought I'd see if any of you liked to fish.

I had a truely great day the other day on the Provo River, just below Jordenelle dam.

Spent about four hours fishing and never moved more that 100 yards on the river. Fish rising all over the place. With one big brown, that would jump about 2 feet straight out of the water. Tried to get him for sometime, finally got him to take the fly, but lost hime when I let some slack in the line.

Those are days that you live for, caught several browns ranging from 12 to 19 inches. Makes me smile thinking about it again. Didn't make up for the game though on Saturday.

Went back the next day with two of my daughters and some guy was fishing in my spot, so it sort of ruined my hopes of a repeat performance.

Go Cougars!
Nobody Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 02:51 AM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default have enjoyed my few times fly fishing

but have not been very successful.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:20 AM   #3
Nobody Special

Nobody Special

It's something that you have to do more than just a few times to have any luck. There is a big learning curve and a lot of subtle things to pick up. I'm by no means a great fisherman, but it does take awhile to start to catch fish.

I have people that I go fishing with that can catch a fish in a mud puddle. That gets to be pretty frustrating to beat a spot on the river to death and have them bop in and catch the dang fish that you had spent the last half hour throwing a fly at trying to hook.

But, I find it to be very relaxing when I need to unwind. Just something soothing about the whole experience.

Go Cougars!
Old 10-25-2005, 03:23 PM   #4
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I've been fly fishing once - a very frustrating experience.

I spent more time untangling my line than actually fishing. I think my problem was that we were waste deep in the river and all of my practice was on land. When I brought my pole back to let out the line, I would drop the line too low, causing the fly to touch the water. Then when I brought it forward again, it would somehow get twisted up and cause a huge mess in the line. Of course my fingers were freezing at this time, so it took even longer to get the knots out.

Hardly a relaxing experience for me. I have to say, if I could figure out the technique, I would enjoy it much more than regular fishing with a hook and bobber, which for me is one step above watching Dr. Phil re-runs on the "slit-my-wrist boring scale".
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 03:38 PM   #5
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ...

i fly fish.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 04:01 PM   #6
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

I fry fish also...
Old 10-25-2005, 04:13 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default my first experience

we had planned the day in advance.

Borrowing everything, as I had nothing. Excited as I was, we had waders, flies, rods and everything.

We carefully carried everything, planning the exact spot where we would fish. My friend told his wife, don't get anything we're bringing home the fish, we're men now. She politely tells my wife, don't worry we'll be eating chicken tonight.

So we step gently across the river, and as I step toward our spot, my foot slips sending my feet straight up, filling up the waders as I float upside down, down the river. A river ran through me alright.

So much for my introduction to flyfishing.

We did have a perfect day otherwise, unless of course, you count the lack of fish. It was fun, as I fancied myself Brad Pitt on some mythical river bringing in a Gallilean haul.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:07 AM   #8
Nobody Special

Nobody Special

Well, don't let a little bad experience stop you from trying again. It's not all that bad.

Casting and getting a good drift are the most important things to learn at first.

And fusnik, were abouts do you go fishing? There are a few good streams here in town.

Go Cougars!
Old 10-27-2005, 02:50 PM   #9
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ...

i grew up partly in heber so i know that area real well....

a couple of my uncles did internships for the forrest service so i know the strawberry area and tributaries quite well.....

i also know the upper weber real well. areas in morgan that are real good.....

i know a lot of good places in the ogden, morgan, kamas, heber, daniels, area....
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote