cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling

Old 03-02-2009, 05:49 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Weekend report

So despite having wanted to race earlier this year, this weekend was my first bike race of the year, even though I had done zero interval workouts, no big ring and one crit workout. Needless to say, you can predict the suffering and harm to my system.

Saturday morning we have a 4.1 mile, average gradient of 4%, no biggie, except my friend and I determine, hell we don't need to warm up, and it showed in a very sucky time, averaging only 15mph. Yikes. Next time, why don't you leave the trike home.

Next is the road race a couple of hours later. It is filled with rollers and one and two mile hills, with about 5000 feet of climbing. Unfortunately, some of the masters racers were with us slowpokes so we re-traced the TT climb and headed on out. At the seven percent gradient, some damn billygoat attacked, and damn it I was dropped.

So I'm with a pursuit group, including women, which includes some modest gradient ascents for about ten miles. Unfortunately, I got gapped at the damn turn around, meaning for painful chases down and up some more hills. In RR, you're supposed to not hook on with others not of your classification but after you're as far back as I was, I said f.. it, and latched onto whomever I could catch despite being sworn at by ahole racers.

Some how I forgot my electrolytes, and forgot to drink, and as luck would have it, my body didn't forget. So quads starting locking up, meaning I couldn't stand and had to do the remaining eleven miles seated.

So I slithered home. Unfortunately, the slithering put my race "speed" slightly under 20 mph, so we won't really talk about it.

Next day, a thirty minute crit. My criterium for crits is not to crash and to avoid being dropped quickly and lapped too soon. And not to finish last. I did most of that, but after suffering for about five laps I said, what the hell and just had a nice ride. I need to actually start training, not just ride. But riding is so much more relaxed than training.

I forgot the best part, despite some other physical ailments not worth mentioning, I got to the parking lot, and had my leg muscles attack me, sending me straight to the ground. I couldn't find a banana right away so I lay there for about twenty minutes in pain to remind me, electrolytes, dude, electrolytes.

Well i don't know if this dumbass triathlete will stick to something he knows or whether i'll continue to do something for which i'm not well-suited. Nonethelss this was all done in 70 degree weather. Read and weep, dear Viking. Read and weep.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:52 PM   #2
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

I'm up here freezing my ass off just lucky to get thirty five miles in and you're racing. I've got a hell of a lot of riding to make up for and yes I am jealous. By the way Lotoja is September 12 this year.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
I'm up here freezing my ass off just lucky to get thirty five miles in and you're racing. I've got a hell of a lot of riding to make up for and yes I am jealous. By the way Lotoja is September 12 this year.
and the Sooner game is Septbemer 5, don't you forget.