cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling

Old 05-29-2015, 04:35 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cycling update

I don't know if I mentioned it, but I did end up getting a powertap rear wheel. Been happy with it. A lot of fun and very useful in keeping track of how much work I am doing and how I am improving or regressing.

I started cycling again end of June 2014. I put in 1000 miles by the end of the calendar year. Took the entire winter off, and now back riding a bit. Only about 330 miles for the year so far, but that puts me ahead of last year. But perhaps behind my goal of getting 2000 miles this year.

Just ordered a new split-saddle seat. I have had my el cheapo factory seat, and it is starting to fray around the nose. So I'll see if this new seat is more comfortable. Selle flite gel.

Strava has been fun. Have tried Zwift with the trainer, but only a couple of times.

Still haven't done a single rally. And not done even a metric century on a training ride. Pretty pitiful. Have thoughts about getting into velodrome racing locally but don't have the fitness yet. Nor the time.

so that's my cycling update.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:50 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Strava has allowed me to see how other athletes train. And the gap is huge between me and the good ones. They are training A LOT more and year round. But it also shows what kind of time and effort you have to put in to be fast. You can't just putter around for 3-4 hours per week on the bike and be anything near the fast guys. It has to be total dedication.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:48 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

450 miles so far this year. Kinda pitiful. Feeling weak. Have been sick. Today I started coughing up phlegm, bad rattling cough where your chest is buzzing, hurting, and itching at the same time.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:02 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Just did my first ride through mountains ever. Strava said I did 4300 feet of climbing. Longest straight climb was 1700 feet or so. Temp high was 115.

It was fun, but the end of the ride was pretty brutal. The last climbs. But it would be fun to have that option to do these kinds of climbs where I live in Texas. Doing an 80 foot climb is about what I am limited to. Not that I am good at climbing. I'm too heavy.