cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics

Old 05-02-2009, 12:04 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jay Bybee speaks: "I WAS RIGHT ABOUT TORTURE"

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/29/us...ybee.html?_r=1

Can we hurry up and excommunicate him already? That would be a good start.

It boggles my mind how we can officially disfellowship Labute, but we can't disfellowship this man?

Oh yeah, that's right, most Mormons likely support torture.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:40 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Dammit, I looked at the Mormon Archipelago for any blog post or article that mentions Bybee or torture.

I couldn't find a single one.

Mormonania--a desert in the midst of oases. Wake up, sleeping giant, wake up. Rise up against evil.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:34 AM   #3
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

I want to more fully understand your stance on the whole issue of torture. Are you OK with hunting down and killing Bin Laden and colleagues using any means available such as unmanned drones, bunker busting munitions and maybe even expertly trained snipers?

And before your ignorance gets the better of you (which is often the case). I am not in favor of torture and will not offer a defense of anyone involved in it.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:54 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
I want to more fully understand your stance on the whole issue of torture. Are you OK with hunting down and killing Bin Laden and colleagues using any means available such as unmanned drones, bunker busting munitions and maybe even expertly trained snipers?

And before your ignorance gets the better of you (which is often the case). I am not in favor of torture and will not offer a defense of anyone involved in it.
"any means available". Of course I am not in favor of that. Only a fool would be in favor of that.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:04 AM   #5
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
"any means available". Of course I am not in favor of that. Only a fool would be in favor of that.
I wasn't implying torture as one of those means, rather any instrument of war available to the US military. And this is war we are talking about. Bin Laden is not a fugitive in flight from a guilty verdict handed down by a recognized court of law.

Seriously though, what is the difference between say an unmanned drone with bombs and missiles and a tactical nuclear weapon? They are both designed to kill. Perhaps it could be argued that one weapon is more or less precise or discriminatory than the other. But what a funny argument.

So, I repeat the question ... (excluding torture) are you in favor of any means necessary to get Bin Laden?

Last edited by tooblue; 05-03-2009 at 04:06 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:32 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
I wasn't implying torture as one of those means, rather any instrument of war available to the US military. And this is war we are talking about. Bin Laden is not a fugitive in flight from a guilty verdict handed down by a recognized court of law.

Seriously though, what is the difference between say an unmanned drone with bombs and missiles and a tactical nuclear weapon? They are both designed to kill. Perhaps it could be argued that one weapon is more or less precise or discriminatory than the other. But what a funny argument.

So, I repeat the question ... (excluding torture) are you in favor of any means necessary to get Bin Laden?
No, I am not. Let me know if you need further repetitions of my answer.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:58 AM   #7
tooblue

Quote:
No, I am not. Let me know if you need further repetitions of my answer.
But you are in favor of the military catching and most likely killing Bin Laden and his colleagues correct? And his death may be an inherent consequence of the process ... certainly many of his comrades have in fact been killed!

So, what military action do you condone in order to capture Bin Laden? Is it OK for him to be killed by a bomb or missile fired from an unmanned drone? Is it OK for him to be shot by a sniper? Is it OK for him to be captured by a platoon that may have killed many of his comrades along with noncombatants in the process?

What is acceptable?
Old 05-03-2009, 05:10 AM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

that's the problem with people like you. You think OBL is a person who is dangerous to the USA.

OBL is not a person. He's an idea. You don't fight an idea the same way you fight a person.

We had a president who went to war without a plan. Yes, that's right. He DIDN'T HAVE A PLAN. We had a puppeteer as VP who had all the foresight and caution to shoot his hunting companion, and ALSO WENT TO WAR WITHOUT A PLAN.

OBL is about 1000x as intelligent as Bush/Cheney/Tooblue.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:28 PM   #9
tooblue

Quote:
that's the problem with people like you. You think OBL is a person who is dangerous to the USA.

OBL is not a person. He's an idea. You don't fight an idea the same way you fight a person.

We had a president who went to war without a plan. Yes, that's right. He DIDN'T HAVE A PLAN. We had a puppeteer as VP who had all the foresight and caution to shoot his hunting companion, and ALSO WENT TO WAR WITHOUT A PLAN.

OBL is about 1000x as intelligent as Bush/Cheney/Tooblue.
So you are going obfuscate ... avoid the question ... and try to twist this into an argument about something else? Your comments above are a Red Herring.

You don't even know my beliefs but you do not have a problem painting them as something that is useful to you and your argument. The truth is the more you use such tactics and refuse to answer basic questions stated above the more you become a Jay Bybee ... or GWB/Cheney! From this point forward I should refer to you as Jay Bybee instead of Mike Waters.

Last edited by tooblue; 05-03-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:31 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I don't play 20 questions with people who have a history of not shedding any enlightenment on anything.

How many times do I have to say it, no, I would not use any means available.