cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football

Old 12-23-2015, 08:09 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default It's weird to be dishonest about your sports opinion on the internet

Many times people have an interest in not being completely honest about their sports opinions. For example reporters. They have to maintain relationships with players and coaches and owners and GMs and athletic directors. If they are too critical, they can lose access.

Of course some commentators take advantage of this "market niche" of being the honest person who actually says what he believes. A couple people come to mind. Charles Barkley. And Bill Simmons. Bill Simmons will very plainly say he thinks a coach is no good or a players is a headcase or no good. But even he's aware of how it plays out in the public sphere. He talked about how he said something a little down about Draymond Green a ways back, and Green tweeted back at him and has kinda given him the cold shoulder since. Of course now Simmons has a very high opinion of Draymond, saying as of this season so far, he's first team All-NBA.

Regarding BYU, I can't stand these reporters. They NEVER ask the questions I am interested in. They always play it safe. It's so boring.

If anyone likes what I say about sports (and I don't think there are many, it's not like I have 'fans'), it's because I speak my plain opinion. And it's just bizarre to me that there are people who also post on these boards, but think it's inappropriate to share your honest opinion, esp. if it's negative.

I imagine it must particularly be the case among Mormons, who are trained from a young age that you must never criticize religious leaders.

Suspensions for 'negativity.' It's just incredible. But that's why there is a niche for alternative message boards. Ones that don't censor. And you can say what you want.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote