cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2008, 04:30 PM   #1
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Perhaps those of you with liberal leanings

can help me with this.

One of the things the libs argue is the illegal immigration is good for the economy, cheap labor.

On the other hand, cheap labor obtained by exporting jobs to foreign countries is terrible for the economy and as Barak has said he will nail the US Corporations and bring those jobs back.

So let me get this straight. We need to bring those jobs back creating more jobs here in the US and then we will need more illegals coming into the country to fill those jobs?

Please don't give me the illegals will do jobs Americans won't. They will do jobs, like tile laying, cheaper than Americans will, but Americans would lay tile if they got paid enough. That is no different than shipping off a job answering the phone and giving tech support.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:31 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
can help me with this.

One of the things the libs argue is the illegal immigration is good for the economy, cheap labor.

On the other hand, cheap labor obtained by exporting jobs to foreign countries is terrible for the economy and as Barak has said he will nail the US Corporations and bring those jobs back.

So let me get this straight. We need to bring those jobs back creating more jobs here in the US and then we will need more illegals coming back into the country to fill those jobs?

Please don't give me the illegals will do jobs Americans won't. They will do jobs, like tile laying, cheaper than Americans will, but Americans would lay tile if they got paid enough. That is no different than shipping off a job answering the phone and giving tech support.
What is your question?

Is your question related to the societal justifications for humane treatment of illegals?

Is it an economic question requiring a causality analysis or a correlation analysis?
Old 02-28-2008, 05:04 PM   #3
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

I'm a cynic, but I'd bet that dems like immigrants because immigrants vote for dems, and republicans hate immigrants... because immigrants vote for dems. The rest is just ad hoc.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:10 PM   #4
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
I'm a cynic, but I'd bet that dems like immigrants because immigrants vote for dems, and republicans hate immigrants... because immigrants vote for dems. The rest is just ad hoc.
This is the truth.

Dems have no love for immigrants if they primarily voted Republican.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:11 PM   #5
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
This is the truth.

Dems have no love for immigrants if they primarily voted Republican.
BYU71 is talking about illegal immigrants.

Do they vote?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:16 PM   #6
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
BYU71 is talking about illegal immigrants.

Do they vote?
In the Democratic caucus in Nevada they did.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:22 PM   #7
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
In the Democratic caucus in Nevada they did.
Mitt still won there, so it likely didnt effect conservative principles too much.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 02-28-2008, 05:16 PM   #8
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
It is a potential big voting block for them. Watch, there is no way we keep them in the country on a permanent guest worker program. The Dems over time will find a way to get them the vote.

The only thing the repubs have going for them is the hispanics and blacks are prejudice against each other. I guess whites aren't the only ones who have prejudicial bones in their bodies.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:34 PM   #9
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
can help me with this.

So let me get this straight. We need to bring those jobs back creating more jobs here in the US and then we will need more illegals coming into the country to fill those jobs?

I think you are slightly mis-representing.

"Illegal" immigration is not good for the economy. Having people here that are willing to do all kind of work for less pay is good for the economy.

Also, kicking everyone out that is currently here is bad for the economy.

There is a big difference....the nuance being that "illegal immigration is good for the economy" suggests that some advocate that we allow people to keep coming illegally. Nobody is suggesting that, are they?

The key is finding a way for work visas to be given out more efficiently and dictated by the market. Thus, we would still have people here willing to do the work and for less, but they wont be coming illegally.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:55 PM   #10
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I think you are slightly mis-representing.

"Illegal" immigration is not good for the economy. Having people here that are willing to do all kind of work for less pay is good for the economy.

Also, kicking everyone out that is currently here is bad for the economy.

There is a big difference....the nuance being that "illegal immigration is good for the economy" suggests that some advocate that we allow people to keep coming illegally. Nobody is suggesting that, are they?

The key is finding a way for work visas to be given out more efficiently and dictated by the market. Thus, we would still have people here willing to do the work and for less, but they wont be coming illegally.
I probably wan't clear. I am not trying to argue whether illegals should be kicked out or not. I personally don't think they should while at the same time I think we should be making it harder than hell for new ones to come in. That however is another subject.

Mine is solely to ask those who say cheap labor is good for the economy, how come cheap foreign labor isn't also good for the economy.