cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Reactivation

Sometimes it is my duty to actively try and find a particular individual who is on our ward rolls.

About a month ago, I called a number and left a message. Never heard back. Then I misplaced his contact info for a time (obviously it's on the ward directory, but I had forgotten his name). Found his info again yesterday. Called again and left a message. Then I drove to his home. It was a duplex. I knew him to be 43 years old. A short paunchy man answered the door. His hair was grey, he looked weathered, older than 43 years old. I introduced myself. He confirmed his name. He only had the door cracked open, he said he didn't have time for this, wasn't interested. Was shutting the door. I asked, at the last second, if he would like hometeachers, he said no and shut the door.

Now what? Leave him be? Hometeachers to knock on his door everyone once in a while? Mail him a letter?

I think about his life. I think he's a contractor or self-employed making fences for residential properties. He had a sign out front advertising that. Living in a duplex, probably doesn't own the place. My impression is that he is not married, but who knows. He looks old. Not tanned and outdoorsy old, but just old. Like hard-living old. No warmth in his appearance towards me.

What do you say in those moments right before a guy shuts the door? It's like two seconds you have.

People do come back to church. We had a guy that recently came back of his own accord. Now is hometeaching. Has a calling. That's a good thing.

I have a few more that I need to call on. Including one that requested and received assistance moving in and has never attended church once.

It brings to mind the statistic that in this church, the more educated you are, the more likely you are to be devout.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd contact him quarterly. Reminds him that someone out there is reaching out, but is not overbearing. I'd also do it early in the month, so he doesn't think you're trying to beat a home teaching deadline.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

EDIT: I'd contact him quarterly, unless he makes a stronger statement e.g. "leave me alone," "please do not call me again."
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Good advice.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd also contact him for a social event.