cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food

Old 06-29-2008, 07:10 PM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sunday dinner

I love Sundays. It's the only day in the week where I get hours to prep a great meal. This week, it's a Meditteranean/Middle Eastern BBQ with everything made from scratch. The menu is:

Grilled flatbread
Baba Ganouj
Hummus
Tabouli
Couscous with Sundried Tomato and Kalamata Olives
Lamb kabob with Tzatziki
Lemon chicken kabob
Grilled squash, artichoke, carrots and asparagus

The guests are bringing desert. I'm expecting brownies from a box.

The best part about this is the leftovers. I can use the grilled flatbread to make pizza, topped with fresh basil and mozzarella. I can use the couscous for stuffed chicken. The hummus and baba ganouj make a pretty healthy snack.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:26 PM   #2
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Are you inviting all of Adams LDS Arab friends?
Old 06-30-2008, 01:50 AM   #3
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Are you inviting all of Adams LDS Arab friends?
We have a family from Jordan in our ward. Also, I spent a couple of months in Jordan about 11 years ago. At that time there were two branches in the country and not all members were ex-pats. One of the branch presidents was an Iraqi who fought in the first Gulf War for Iraq. There aren't a lot of Arab Mormons out there, but they do exist.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:42 AM   #4
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
We have a family from Jordan in our ward. Also, I spent a couple of months in Jordan about 11 years ago. At that time there were two branches in the country and not all members were ex-pats. One of the branch presidents was an Iraqi who fought in the first Gulf War for Iraq. There aren't a lot of Arab Mormons out there, but they do exist.
Growing up my wife lived in Jordan for several years. When we were dating I would take her to Middle Eastern restaurants just to impress her. As it turned out, I like the food as much or more than she does.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:48 AM   #5
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Grilled flatbread is simple, delicious and incredibly versatile. You can use it as Naan as well. I got this from Bobby Flays cookbook.

Grilled Flatbread
1 1/2 cups warm water (105 to 110 degrees F)
1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive or canola oil, plus more for bowl
Mix water and yeast in a large bowl and let stand 5 minutes to proof. Gradually pour in 2 cups of the flour and stir to incorporate. Mix for about 1 minute to form a sponge. Let stand, covered, for at least 1 hour.

Put sponge in the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the dough hook, add the salt and oil, then add the flour, 1/2 cup at a time, to form a dough. Remove from bowl and knead. Place in a clean oiled bowl and let rise, slowly, about 2 1/2 hours. Divide dough into 4 balls, let rise again for 1/2 hour, and then roll out as desired. Spray or brush lightly with olive oil.

Place the dough on a preheated grill set to high heat oil side down. Spray the top side. As the dough bubbles, about two minutes, peek underneath to ensure that it doesn't burn. Flip the dough over and grill for another minute or two.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:51 AM   #6
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Triple Father:

Here is a good couscous recipe I got on Guy's Big Bite:

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
4 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
4 tablespoons kalamata olives, chopped
2 cups chicken stock
1 (10-ounce) box couscous
Salt and pepper
1/2 pound feta cheese, crumbled

In saucepan over medium heat add olive oil, when hot, add the garlic and red pepper flakes. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and saute a few minutes more. Add olives and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add the box of couscous, turn off heat and let stand covered for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork, and season with salt and pepper. Add the Feta and mix in.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:59 AM   #7
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Hummus is super easy.

1/4 Tahini
1/3 Lemon juice
1/3 - 1/2 cup water
1 clove chopped garlic (I press it and use a two or three cloves b/c I love garlic)
1 can rinsed chickpeas (you could also do 3/4 cup dried chickpeas - soaked or pressure cooked)
1/2 teaspoon salt
pepper to taste

Put tahini, lemon juice, water and garlic into a blender or food processor. Run it until smooth. Gradually add the chickpeas until the mixture has the texture you like, usually a thick paste. Salt and pepper to taste.

You can also add other flavors to liven it up. I really like basil from the garden, roasted red peppers or kalamata olives.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:02 AM   #8
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Baba Ganouj

1 large firm eggplant (about 1 1/3 pounds), cut in half lengthwise
Olive oil
1 tablespoon tahini
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/8 cup minced shallots (you can substitute any onion or scallion)
1/4 cup fresh lemon
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
Olive oil

Preheat grill. Brush flesh of the eggplant with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Grill flesh-side down for 15 to 20 minutes, turn over and grill an additional 15 minutes, or until soft. Let cool slightly and remove the flesh with a large spoon and puree in the food processor. I like to let a little burned skin into the mixture to get more of the smoky taste.

In a large bowl, mix the tahini, garlic, shallot, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, cayenne, cilantro together until combined. Fold in the eggplant and reseason with salt and pepper and more lemon juice if necessary.

I usually make this and the hummus at least one night in advance to let the flavors blend and to save time.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:24 PM   #9
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Grilled flatbread is simple, delicious and incredibly versatile. You can use it as Naan as well. I got this from Bobby Flays cookbook.

Grilled Flatbread
1 1/2 cups warm water (105 to 110 degrees F)
1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive or canola oil, plus more for bowl
Mix water and yeast in a large bowl and let stand 5 minutes to proof. Gradually pour in 2 cups of the flour and stir to incorporate. Mix for about 1 minute to form a sponge. Let stand, covered, for at least 1 hour.

Put sponge in the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the dough hook, add the salt and oil, then add the flour, 1/2 cup at a time, to form a dough. Remove from bowl and knead. Place in a clean oiled bowl and let rise, slowly, about 2 1/2 hours. Divide dough into 4 balls, let rise again for 1/2 hour, and then roll out as desired. Spray or brush lightly with olive oil.

Place the dough on a preheated grill set to high heat oil side down. Spray the top side. As the dough bubbles, about two minutes, peek underneath to ensure that it doesn't burn. Flip the dough over and grill for another minute or two.
I have long been wanting to try this grilled flatbread recipe, and yesterday was the day, my friends. Very good. Thanks, yohio.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:25 PM   #10
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

I continue to make this grilled flatbread, all these years later. In fact, I logged on here today to pull off the recipe because someone asked me for it. It is delicious.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote