cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books

Old 11-30-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Walking Dead

Started watching this season (caught up on netflix).

I have a mixed opinion on this one. I find the characters just engaging enough to keep watching. But I also find the plotting to be very tedious. The main "good-guy" cop protagonist is getting tiresome, just like the very flat writing for Jack in certain sections of Lost became tedious. How many times can a guy have a soliloquy on "we can't give up" before we throw up in our mouths?

I think the Asian male/white chick dynamic is mildly interesting.

The show needs more tension, faster plotting. You can't have half a season revolve around looking for the same missing girl.

This is going to be a case where we will see whether the writers can improve or not.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I know when I reach the stage where I am making my own audible commentary during a TV show, that things are not going well.

It's like the producers have been told "You have 25,000 dollars budgeted for each episode, go for it." And the producers say "Let's see if we can drag out one storyline over this same farm for an entire season."

I can't think of a single character that I like and think is interesting. I can't think of a single acting performance that is memorable.

"Hey let's get that Trueblood guy and have him be a bad-ass outsider and get 'im all shot up in a bar within 5 minutes."

These folks don't know how to sustain a series. They are boring my pants off (this is the opposite of partying my pants off).
Old 03-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The Walking Dead has become good again.

Especially the last 3 episodes (of season 2).

At the very end of the season finale last night (and this isn't really a spoiler), Rick says to the group, "This isn't a democracy any more!"

I loved that line, because is it so true in many instances. You can either go forward with your own personal vision, and people can follow if they choose; or you can let the group shape the final outcome, and it may very well be something that does not please you.

I'm not talking about governments--I do favor democracy and representative republics.

I'm talking about the things we do in our lives that we personally take charge of. I take counsel, yes. But I've learned that letting things free-flow can be a huge mistake.

And no, cougarguard is not a democracy anymore. Send me a postcard.

Go to 5:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFEAX4sZIx8
Old 10-15-2012, 03:03 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The season three premiere was excellent. I was impressed.