cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2018, 04:25 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My son's joy in cub scouts pangs me

He is seven and he has just started his first cub scout experience, and he comes back from the day camp full of excitement and energy. He tells me about all the fun things they did like shooting BB guns, shooting bows, making silly putty, doing an obstacle course.

It pangs me that the church is throwing this away. And replacing it with what? How do you stop a program without having a replacement already developed?

My son can continue in scouts because he has parents that will support him. But many kids do not. They are destined for a childhood of cell phones, social media, and video games.

What will be the equivalent of the day camp? Of Scout camp? I don't see it happening.

I have to remind myself that it is not my job to care about this. That's one thing the church of the past few years has taught me. It's none of my business and I have no control over any of it, and any action on my part is steadying the arc.

My faith then is to let all this go. And not care. Kids with gay parents can't get baptized? "God will work it out." I guess if there are all these things that God is going to work out, then I need not worry my little head about these things. And many other things.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:51 PM   #2
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Nice positive article about Scouting.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/15/polit...uts/index.html