cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2007, 04:30 AM   #1
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A question for the attorneys here...

the other thread about prosecutors sparked this question:

What do you folks think about a guy like Bruce Cutler - John Gotti's attorney?

Isn't he the worst of the worst when it comes to evil lawyers, be they defense or prosecutors?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:06 PM   #2
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
the other thread about prosecutors sparked this question:

What do you folks think about a guy like Bruce Cutler - John Gotti's attorney?

Isn't he the worst of the worst when it comes to evil lawyers, be they defense or prosecutors?
I don't know what specifically he did. Was it worse than those who defended the beltway snipers for example? Or the 12th hijacker or the shoe bomber?

I guess the question you start with is whether a person we all "know" is guilty is entitled to a trial and a defense. If they are, then are they allowed to have counsel who tries hard or who mails it in, hoping that his guy loses?

The real objection that I am hearing (not from you) is not with defense lawyers but with the 5th and 6th amendments.

You may have to let me know what the guy did. Suborning purgery, falsfying evidence, killing witnesses...this is what I think of with the mafia. If the lawyer is a willing accomplice, then yeah that is the worst.

I think the real objection I hear most of the time (not from you) is not truly to defense tactics but to the 5th and 6th amendments.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:29 PM   #3
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I don't know what specifically he did. Was it worse than those who defended the beltway snipers for example? Or the 12th hijacker or the shoe bomber?

I guess the question you start with is whether a person we all "know" is guilty is entitled to a trial and a defense. If they are, then are they allowed to have counsel who tries hard or who mails it in, hoping that his guy loses?

The real objection that I am hearing (not from you) is not with defense lawyers but with the 5th and 6th amendments.

You may have to let me know what the guy did. Suborning purgery, falsfying evidence, killing witnesses...this is what I think of with the mafia. If the lawyer is a willing accomplice, then yeah that is the worst.

I think the real objection I hear most of the time (not from you) is not truly to defense tactics but to the 5th and 6th amendments.
Well put.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote