cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 04:51 AM   #1
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve
Default A few differences between Utah Co. Costco and OC Costco

I went with my FIL to the Costco in American Fork yesterday evening. I noticed a few things that were different and entertaining:

1. Large bottles of "Some Guy's Fry Sauce." Fry sauce is a concept that is totally foreign in SoCal, for good reason. In Utah, it is requisite eating with french fries. Personally, I prefer mustard.

2. Framed sketches of the Provo Temple. In the back, near the frozen section, there is an area of Church-related art, included framed paintings/drawings of the Provo Temple, the Sacred Grove, and Joseph Smith. In the OC Costco, I have never seen any Jewish, Muslim, or Catholic merch.

3. Kirkland brand Nativity scenes for $99. Kirkland bottles water, makes paper products. Now they are branching out into religious symbology. I guess if I wanted to buy religious symbols, why go with a name brand when I can buy them cheaper in bulk?

4. Personal checks.....all the Costcos I have been to, you either need cash, AmEx, or an ATM card. This Costco accepts checks. At least in the pharmacy area. It would NOT be Utah without knuckleheads writing checks for "$10 over."

5. Laptop computer section has a red Sony Vaio on display with a Salt Lake Temple background on the desktop.

On a side note, we went to a place called Desert Star Theater in Murray. I asked around if the locals knew Il Padrino Ute. Those that knew of him spoke highly of him.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:06 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy
On a side note, we went to a place called Desert Star Theater in Murray. I asked around if the locals knew Il Padrino Ute. Those that knew of him spoke highly of him.
Desert Star Theater is a short drive from my home. Had I known, I would have given you my number and bought you a Big Gulp from the 7-11 a couple of blocks to the north of the theater and then taken you on a tour of the mortuary less than another block north.

My loss.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:18 AM   #3
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Desert Star Theater is a short drive from my home. Had I known, I would have given you my number and bought you a Big Gulp from the 7-11 a couple of blocks to the north of the theater and then taken you on a tour of the mortuary less than another block north.

My loss.
ha....we went to that Sev afterwards. It is only about 30 yards away. We saw "How the Gingrich Saved Christmas." It was an attempt at social and politcal satire. All the anti-Bush and anti-Jazz jokes fell flat. The anti-Hillary joke was greeted with uproarious laughter.

There is one portion where the MC onstage is recognizing birthdays and anniversaries and asking whether people have come from out of town. My in-laws had indicated previously that my wife and I were visiting from OC. He asked me in the audience if we were from the burning part of OC or the non-burning part. I told him that the fire reached about 5 blocks from our home and we were close to evacuations. It killed the vibe because he couldnt make a joke about it. TripletDaddy strikes again.

Forget Desert Star. If you and I meet, we should go to that dance place across the street and try our luck with some of the local young vixens.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 11-21-2007, 05:37 AM   #4
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post

2. Framed sketches of the Provo Temple. In the back, near the frozen section, there is an area of Church-related art, included framed paintings/drawings of the Provo Temple, the Sacred Grove, and Joseph Smith. In the OC Costco, I have never seen any Jewish, Muslim, or Catholic merch.
Funny you should mention that. Observe:

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8223
Old 11-21-2007, 05:42 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
ha....we went to that Sev afterwards. It is only about 30 yards away. We saw "How the Gingrich Saved Christmas." It was an attempt at social and politcal satire. All the anti-Bush and anti-Jazz jokes fell flat. The anti-Hillary joke was greeted with uproarious laughter.

There is one portion where the MC onstage is recognizing birthdays and anniversaries and asking whether people have come from out of town. My in-laws had indicated previously that my wife and I were visiting from OC. He asked me in the audience if we were from the burning part of OC or the non-burning part. I told him that the fire reached about 5 blocks from our home and we were close to evacuations. It killed the vibe because he couldnt make a joke about it. TripletDaddy strikes again.

Forget Desert Star. If you and I meet, we should go to that dance place across the street and try our luck with some of the local young vixens.
You're talking about Southern Exposure! I mean, I have no idea what you are talking about.

To the south is the Murray Costco. Across the street to the south is Murray High school. Across the street to the east is the junior high school which my two oldest attend.

EDIT: Way to ruin the fun for everyone. I like doing that too.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:44 AM   #6
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Funny you should mention that. Observe:

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8223
Greg Olson has nothing on the biggest art fraud in the history of civilization.

Thomas Kinkade: Painter of Kitsch.

When Kinkade dies, the Muses will track him down and beat him to a pulp, all while playing harpsichords and trumpets.

Someone gave us a TK calendar as a gift. We let our children color on the squares and then threw it away a few days later.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:46 AM   #7
TripletDaddy

Quote:
You're talking about Southern Exposure! I mean, I have no idea what you are talking about.

To the south is the Murray Costco. Across the street to the south is Murray High school. Across the street to the east is the junior high school which my two oldest attend.

EDIT: Way to ruin the fun for everyone. I like doing that too.
No, we passed Southern X-posure on the way. That has to be the greatest postcard shot in the entire state. This tiny strip club right in front of a large hospital.

There is some dance place right across the street from The Desert Star.

Also, The Desert Star claims to sell the "finest pizza and the finest toppings." Curious.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:50 AM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
No, we passed Southern X-posure on the way. That has to be the greatest postcard shot in the entire state. This tiny strip club right in front of a large hospital.

There is some dance place right across the street from The Desert Star.

Also, The Desert Star claims to sell the "finest pizza and the finest toppings." Curious.
You must be talking about the Murray Dance Studios, where you can learn all the ballroom dances to impress your wife.

Never had pizza at the Desert Star, so I can't comment on that. In fact, I've never been inside the Desert Star.

The best pizza is at The Pie.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:52 AM   #9
TripletDaddy

Quote:
You must be talking about the Murray Dance Studios, where you can learn all the ballroom dances to impress your wife.

Never had pizza at the Desert Star, so I can't comment on that. In fact, I've never been inside the Desert Star.

The best pizza is at The Pie.
I think you may be right. Maybe it was a dance studio, not a club.

I agree...the Pie in Provo is certaintly delicious...although it has since been renamed Good Time Charlies, FYI...

Old 11-21-2007, 05:55 AM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
I think you may be right. Maybe it was a dance studio, not a club.

I agree...the Pie in Provo is certaintly delicious...although it has since been renamed Good Time Charlies, FYI...
I had no idea that there was a Pie in Provo. Where is it?

I was talking about the one near the U campus.