cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2007, 05:06 PM   #81
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
Johnsen brothers...
Alex jensen....
Marc Jackson...

You are right though ... you own us in the state of utah

Utah is not a hotbed for D1 BB athletes. My take is that there is a longterm trend of Utah losing their edge over BYU as a basketball school and BYU becoming the first choice for LDS Utah recruits. We shot ourselves in the foot with Reid, but since Cleve we have had an obvious advantage.

I'm messing with you guys mostly, but I do believe a couple key points.

1. BYU has a recruiting advantage over Utah within the state of Utah (own is a strong word but we have the advantage)
2. Utah has a very weak natural recruiting base, especially compared with your expectations, and that generally when that is the case, the program relies on a good coaching hire to recruit nationally--with the trends in BB the last 20 years and even the spillover affect of "BCS", I believe you are facing an uphill battle to match past success. That said, I think BYU faces tough demographic trends as well. Our recruiting base is better than yours but still not great. Utah/LDS folks just don't grow that good of basketball players.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:07 PM   #82
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
This is a BYU board. I'm not on your board, and I really don't care about your program. I do think it's fun to watch you guys panic.

This thread started the day after you lost your home winning streak to us. This thread is about Ute fans gripping seeing the advantage they had slipping through their hands like sand.

Trust me, I don't care what you do in BB. You're Wyoming to me. I don't even view you as a recruiting threat in BB. We haven't lost a recruit to you in BB since maybe Josh Grant.
Oh, I trust you. You're just trying to help me see what you believe is gospel truth, right?

If you didn't care, you wouldn't even respond.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:08 PM   #83
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Oh, I trust you. You're just trying to help me see what you believe is gospel truth, right?

If you didn't care, you wouldn't even respond.
I don't care.

But it's fun seeing you guys so worked up, especially after another loss to us.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:10 PM   #84
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Utah is not a hotbed for D1 BB athletes. My take is that there is a longterm trend of Utah losing their edge over BYU as a basketball school and BYU becoming the first choice for LDS Utah recruits. We shot ourselves in the foot with Reid, but since Cleve we have had an obvious advantage.

I'm messing with you guys mostly, but I do believe a couple key points.

1. BYU has a recruiting advantage over Utah within the state of Utah (own is a strong word but we have the advantage)
2. Utah has a very weak natural recruiting base, especially compared with your expectations, and that generally when that is the case, the program relies on a good coaching hire to recruit nationally--with the trends in BB the last 20 years and even the spillover affect of "BCS", I believe you are facing an uphill battle to match past success. That said, I think BYU faces tough demographic trends as well. Our recruiting base is better than yours but still not great. Utah/LDS folks just don't grow that good of basketball players.

#1 is where we differ... Utah's base in Utah is Salt Lake Metro Area Kids... I say that Utah has the advantage when it comes to those kids.

Green, Deane and Grimm are examples of that. In utah county and even more south byu is king. However, who produces more players? Salt Lake and Davis County or the rest?
Old 02-02-2007, 05:11 PM   #85
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

We need to teach our LDS volleyball players a jump shot.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:17 PM   #86
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I don't care.

But it's fun seeing you guys so worked up, especially after another loss to us.
You're right. One loss at the Huntsman Center in 13 years is something to worry about.

What's fun is watching you try to convince us of the gloom and doom of Utah basketball. Keep it coming. It's good for a laugh.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:22 PM   #87
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I love BYU basketball. But if I'll be honest, if I were back in HS and was a Division 1 prospect that could play at a MWC school, but not necessarily good enough to play in the Pac 10 or Big East, I would probably go to Utah over BYU. And to be honest, most of my decision, academics and student life aside, would be based upon perception. Regardless of whatever current trends or who is out recruiting who, I think Utah is perceived regionally and even moreso nationally as a better basketball program than BYU.

But then again if I were a D1 prospect who could play in the Big East, ACC or Pac 10, to hell with both BYU and Utah.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:33 PM   #88
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
I love BYU basketball. But if I'll be honest, if I were back in HS and was a Division 1 prospect that could play at a MWC school, but not necessarily good enough to play in the Pac 10 or Big East, I would probably go to Utah over BYU. And to be honest, most of my decision, academics and student life aside, would be based upon perception. Regardless of whatever current trends or who is out recruiting who, I think Utah is perceived regionally and even moreso nationally as a better basketball program than BYU.

But then again if I were a D1 prospect who could play in the Big East, ACC or Pac 10, to hell with both BYU and Utah.
You would play for Giac over Rose?

Now, Majerus would have made it a tough choice, but Giac hasn't shown enough to merit consideration of Utah over BYU.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:43 PM   #89
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Dude? A couple of almost fifty year olds spouting dude? I love it.
"almost fifty"? I prefer to think of myself as mid-forties.

The Stranger: Way out west there was this fella I wanna tell ya about. Goes by the name of Jeff Lebowski. At least that was the handle his loving parents gave him, but he never had much use for it himself. See, this Lebowski, he called himself "The Dude". Now, "Dude" - there's a name no man would self-apply where I come from...
Old 02-02-2007, 05:50 PM   #90
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
"almost fifty"? I prefer to think of myself as mid-forties.

The Stranger: Way out west there was this fella I wanna tell ya about. Goes by the name of Jeff Lebowski. At least that was the handle his loving parents gave him, but he never had much use for it himself. See, this Lebowski, he called himself "The Dude". Now, "Dude" - there's a name no man would self-apply where I come from...
If the Dude were a real person, he would be about that old.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote