cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2007, 03:33 PM   #71
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Is is just me, or is anyone else astonished at the amount of energy expended on this thread? This is quite a pissing contest.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:48 PM   #72
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
That's pretty big talk from a fan of a team that hasn't won an NCAA game in twenty years, and won less than ten games the year before last. Whether BYU even goes to the NCAA playoffs this year is an open question. What's funny about your talk is how differently we measure success. Those studs Cleveland recruited in his last year are not Spring chickens anymore. With that class BYU should be a top 20 team. It's a middling MWC team. But it won't have another chance like this to win an NCAA game for a long time. Even with Giacoletti and Archibald Utah won the conference and experienced NCAA success. Your perspective is warped because you think history began when you became conscious of the world around you. Which is typical. You also have this insular sense of divine mission. What say you? Will BYU win an NCAA game this year? Will it even get a bid? From a seventy year perspective of Utah basketball this BYU team would be regarded as a failure.

i've never heard of thes "youth" you listed except Plaistead and Cummard. Nobody wanted them.

History and tradition only serve you today as far as developing your recruiting base and fan base. Neither of yours are too impressive in that regard. Nobody thinks Weber State, despite a decent history, is ever going to seriously resurrect their program. You appear to be on the same path. You simply have too many other schools to fight with to get those California recruits.

When you're in a small state and your rival has more fans in your own home city, that's a big problem.

Like I said before, I don't have delusions of grandeur about BYU's place in the basketball world.

You have more upside because if you do make a lucky coaching hire, like Urban, you have a chance to get really good for a few years before he moves on. You also have more downside because you don't have a recruiting base to fall back on when you don't have a great coach. We're seeing that now. Giac's not that bad of a coach, he's just not Majerus. Good luck finding Majerus again. Hill's not on a winning streak, though, is he.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:49 PM   #73
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Is is just me, or is anyone else astonished at the amount of energy expended on this thread? This is quite a pissing contest.
I already told them the whole thing was just entertainment for me, but I think they feel like self-punishing after this last loss.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:24 PM   #74
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Dude, virutally no energy expended form this corner.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:31 PM   #75
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Dude, virutally no energy expended form this corner.
Dude? A couple of almost fifty year olds spouting dude? I love it.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:37 PM   #76
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I already told them the whole thing was just entertainment for me, but I think they feel like self-punishing after this last loss.
Uh-huh. That's why you've contributed the most to this thread. You seem to be trying to convince yourself that Utah is finished in hoops. If it makes you feel better to believe that, more power to you.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:43 PM   #77
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Uh-huh. That's why you've contributed the most to this thread. You seem to be trying to convince yourself that Utah is finished in hoops. If it makes you feel better to believe that, more power to you.
You guys are the ones that sound in a panic. It doesn't really bother me what you do in college hoops.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:45 PM   #78
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You guys are the ones that sound in a panic. It doesn't really bother me what you do in college hoops.
Like I said, if it makes you feel better, more power to you.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:51 PM   #79
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Like I said, if it makes you feel better, more power to you.
This is a BYU board. I'm not on your board, and I really don't care about your program. I do think it's fun to watch you guys panic.

This thread started the day after you lost your home winning streak to us. This thread is about Ute fans gripping seeing the advantage they had slipping through their hands like sand.

Trust me, I don't care what you do in BB. You're Wyoming to me. I don't even view you as a recruiting threat in BB. We haven't lost a recruit to you in BB since maybe Josh Grant.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:58 PM   #80
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
This is a BYU board. I'm not on your board, and I really don't care about your program. I do think it's fun to watch you guys panic.

This thread started the day after you lost your home winning streak to us. This thread is about Ute fans gripping seeing the advantage they had slipping through their hands like sand.

Trust me, I don't care what you do in BB. You're Wyoming to me. I don't even view you as a recruiting threat in BB. We haven't lost a recruit to you in BB since maybe Josh Grant.
Johnsen brothers...
Alex jensen....
Marc Jackson...

You are right though ... you own us in the state of utah