cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 10:09 PM   #1
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default some steroid info for you to bite on....

nothing provable in a court of law, just my experience.....

so i work out at this gym where a bunch of kids from the same high school work out. their was a group of about 15 guys who played multiple sports and were in the gym every night after school. super dedicated guys who all had aspirations of playing some sport at the next level.

of these 15 guys 10 went on to play some sort of sport in the collegiate level. some played baseball, one played basketball, one played track, and the rest played football, we had kids play jc ball, div 1-aa, div II, div 1, a cornicopia of schools, for a group of kids at very different talent levels....

well all of these kids get different work out stuff from the different schools and start working out how their colleges want them to. all different programs, still working out together over the summer. christmas comes a majority of these kids come home and the football, baseball and track athletes all gained on average 20 lbs in 4 months. now this might not be startling gains, but for in season gains that is quite impressive. what was even more impressive was the gains these kids made in size, one kid gained 2 inches on his neck in less than a month. one kid gained 3 inches on his arms in a month, one kids suit was rendored useless in the first month he was at school, one kid had to buy all new pants because his legs didnt fit his pants anymore....

now were the majority of these kids lds? yes. did the majority go on missions? all except 2. did the majority use steroids, hell yeah they did.

point being, lds, non-lds, 5 years ago, today, steroid use is as rampant as it comes.

now heres where i dont have a problem with it. these kids all will eventually get that big anyways, they just jumpstart it by taking steroids once or twice.

steroid use is rampant in the sense that kids use it once in their careers, once a year, twice a year, its not rampant in he sense that kids are cycling all the time.

kids are actually very smart about what, how, and when they use the various types of roids.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 10:30 PM   #2
WJCougar

WJCougar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default So are you one of them?

Since you are so certain all but two of them used steroids, it sounds like you must be on the Roids too!
WJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 10:38 PM   #3
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default im certain...

because a majority of them admitted....
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 04:54 PM   #4
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney
Default When I was at BYU

you would see guys get really big all of the sudden. and you sometimes wondered.

Biggest, as in strongest, guy I have ever seen was Byron Frish when he was playing at BYU. He was huge. The triple XL shirts looked almost painted on. Now I am not saying that he used roids, in fact I don't believe he did. He was just a gym rat and lifted ALL the time. But man he was quite the speciman.

On a side note. My brother, who has gained 25 lbs of muscle over the last 5 months has done it by working out 3 hours a day, protien shakes, one type of creatine before workout, and a different creatine after, and fatburners. All of his money goes to those stupid suppliments, but he got bigger and stronger.

I took creatine while I was at BYU and they provided it. I gained 10 lbs in 2 weeks while I was taking it. most was probably water weight, but I did get bigger.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 05:03 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm trying to lose weight, not gain in. I rode my bike 85 miles last sat. in 100deg. I'm 5'10" ~185lb. Doing 100mi ride this weekend. If I could get down to 175 or 170, I would be in heaven. gaining wt is an 18yo dream.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 05:18 PM   #6
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney
Default Best way to lose weight

is to lift weights. Not that I have tried it, but that is what I hear.

I am the heavest I have ever been right now, but at 5 11 and 167 I am not too worried.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 06:17 PM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lifting actually helps you gain weight...

as muscle is heavier than fat. In school, I was required to lift because I was a catcher and needed the extra weight - I'm 5'9" and at my heaviest I was at 215.

Now, I don't work out nearly as often as I did in school and I'm at 185 lbs. I'm not as fit and I have more fat than in school.

My understanding is that the best way to lose weight and get in shape is some sort of areobic exercise which reminds me that I need to find a good road bike.

Anyone have a suggestion for a quality bike at a decent price? I don't need the top-of-the-line bicycle, just something that is durable and worth the cost of cycling for the purpose of getting and staying in shape.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 06:28 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

what's your budget? If you are patient you can get a kestrel generic carbon frame with ultegra groupo from supergo.com for ~1300 shipped.

I currently have the 600$ special bike, to which I added 500$ wheels. But I am thinking of upgrading to the above bike: scattante CFR from supergo. My dad just bought one and I'll get a first look/ride this weekend.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:37 PM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My budget would be somewhere in the..

$1000 range. I understand that that isn't really a lot of money when it comes to a quality bicycle. I wouldn't mind spending more if needed, if I won't need to upgrade in the next few years to get something better.

Are you familiar with a Miele frame? Is it a good one or worth the money?

There is a Schwinn 10 speed bike at my parent's house that was mine as a kid - purchased about '77 - so I suppose I could use that, eh?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 06:44 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

you can't beat the deal I posted above. typical bike in that category goes for over 2k.

bikes have come a long way since 77. now our shifters are with the brakes (no more downtube shifters). also they are much lighter.

forget the 77. I'm not familiar with Miele. maybe archaea is.

But to some degree anything will work. my dad was using a 82 trek until last week. wasn't ideal but he rode it for a year or two. you will eventually want to get something nicer (just like I want something nicer).