cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 05:42 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default This is why I'm depressed

1) Bronco coming back next year

2) Beck and Brown back next year

3) Watkins gone

4) Def. Line gone

5) DB's still suck

There is absolutely no hope in the near term for BYU football.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 06:42 AM   #2
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Gary Crowton = best available LDS coach.
Gary Crowton = 5 win seasons
BYU football= bleak future.

Where have you gone Andy Reid?
Cougar Nation turns its lonely eyes to you.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 07:26 PM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Those would seem to be good reasons Mike...

however, I think those pale in comparison to the attitude of some of your fellow Cougar fans. I decided to see what was going on on the other, much more lame board and came across this post by someone who calls himself useless:

"BYU's administration and the church leadership have destroyed the BYU football program. Plain and simple."

Useless is right.

Sure, I only quoted a part of his pst, but if what he says reflects what he believes, he really should consider seeing a doctor to extract his cranium from his rectum.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 07:42 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Well the sentiment may be a little harsh

but the stringent application of the draconian honor code, deemphasizing non-LDS recruiting, and the administrations of Bateman and Samuelson have done much to downgrade the performance of our money sports.

I don't see BYU making headway so long as Samuelson is our head administrator. Unless vision arises that I am missing.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:12 PM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Default I can understand that you'd feel that way..

however, I think that you're not quite as extreme in your belief that Samuelson is to blame as others seem to be.

Yes, he's the President of the University and for all intents and purposes is the man in charge, but I get the feeling that a guy like this poster "useless" probably believes that Samuelson is destroying BYU football because he's a Utah fan. Absolute rubbish.

Perhaps Samuelson is acting under direction of a higher group of administrators that have decided that athletics are not as important in the big picture as we'd all like to think.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:57 PM   #6
outlier

outlier is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I can understand that you'd feel that way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
Perhaps Samuelson is acting under direction of a higher group of administrators that have decided that athletics are not as important in the big picture as we'd all like to think.
I'm about as much a die-hard Cougar fan as I am anything in life (recent flings with USC notwithstanding) and am totally okay with this possibility. And clearly, the school's re-enforcing the honor code above all else seems to point to this likelihood.

HOWEVER. If that's the case, then the school has been disingenuous by continually trying to tell the fan base that they're going to have great FB & BB teams and by suggesting that the only thing holding them back is donations. This is problematic because it ends up looking like the school, an organ of The One True Church, is spinning messages in order to GET MORE MONEY from its supporters. If our goal's to have the most obedient football team in the NCAA, I don't see why anyone should have donated money to build an IPF instead of donating that money to, you know, some WORTHY cause. (I kind of think any donations to any athletic program tends to be somewhat misguided -- aren't there more needy people in the world than that?)

It just seems brazen to try and get money out of people without having done the math that shows that it'll be impossible to offer the product they expect to receive.

o
outlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 10:35 PM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Default An excellent point you make...

I don't think the Brethren have any intention to eliminate participation in intercollegiate athletics. College sports are another way to generate money for the school in all areas of academia.

My personal opinion is that any demise of BYU football falls squarely on the shoulders of the coaches. Samuelson didn't approve the hiring of Mendenhall to continue the past three seasons - I believe Mendenhall was hired because it was felt that he was the best available coach to turn the momentum in the other direction. Only time will tell if Mendenhall is capable of achieving the expectations of the current administration. If not, then the administration should lower expectations or a better coach should make himself available.

Old 10-02-2005, 10:46 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

IPU, you forgot costs.

Bronco was the CHEAPEST coach that they felt might reasonably get the job done.

WHY THEY WOULD THINK THAT beyond a bit of his hocus-pocus testimony bearing, I have no idea.

What has he done ? What is his track record? Bronco knew how to get the job, knew what to say, and he got it.

That's why you need go decision makers. I dont' blame Bronco for his own hire.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 10:48 PM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Small pool of available coaching talent

We need administration that paradigm shifts, thinks outside the box. Current administration does not.

Paddy you should read the book on McKay, as it sheds new light on administration. I doubt the Brethren had nary an idea what Ernie was doing, cuz he kept them out of the loop.

It is possible it's all delegated to President Samuelson, with some reports being fed to the Board, and that's all. Don't read into the emphasizing of the HC as necessarily being approved and reviewed by them. It's also possible they don't know how it's implemented.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:23 AM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Default Again, good points by all...

I'm only trying to make the point that if Samuelson is to blame, it's not because he's a charter member of the Crimson Club. But then, I forget that we're not on the other board, therefore, I have no need to defend him for that, eh?

I do need to read the book about Mckay. My paerents gave me a copy of it for my birthday and I've yet to even open it up.