cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2007, 02:54 AM   #1
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road
Default Lineup/Formation that I would like to see this year

I know that Coach Anae focuses more on execution than trickery, as he really has a few plays that he makes sure his team knows how to execute and adds little wrinkles as the season progresses, but MAN I would LOVE to see BYU run some no-huddle this year with personnel similar to this:

Dennis Pitta, Andrew George and Vic So'oto
JJ DiLuigi (assuming he's healthy) and Manase Tonga

Pitta and George are TEs that are of the 'big WR' mold, like Johny Harline (only better blockers, IMO).

Come out in a formation with those 5 skill guys, with Pitta and George on the line, and Tonga, So'oto and DiLuigi in the backfield and run power in a short yardage situation. No huddle to a spread offense with Pitta and George lined up as WRs, put DiLuigi and So'oto in the slot and either have Tonga in the backfield or split him out and go with an empty formation. Go to this early in the game and hopefully make the defense burn a timeout. Pitta and George would both have height advantages over corners if matched up 1 on 1, so the fade or possibly slant routes should be there. And I think So'oto, Tonga and DiLuigi should be able to get loose against LBers.

Then again, I REALLY would have loved to see a similar lineup last year with a more seasoned QB, one who Anae trusted to let him call the play, find out what the defenses personnel was and adjust. If they line up small, Power I. If they line up big, spread them out. Beck was mobile enough (when healthy) that he could spread out the defense and find lanes to run in. Without having seen much of Max Hall, I can't really say that I trust his decision making abilities, or know how athletic he is. But I think BYU could really capitalize on some mismatches in situations like this.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 04:54 AM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

i would love to see a Power I, with Sooto, and George as the tightends, and Fui, Manase, and Unga around the goal line. Line all three up in an I formation in the backfield. You can run so many different variations on that one play. Hell throw Tialavea back there as the full back instead of Unga.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:32 PM   #3
TheSizzle36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
i would love to see a Power I, with Sooto, and George as the tightends, and Fui, Manase, and Unga around the goal line. Line all three up in an I formation in the backfield. You can run so many different variations on that one play. Hell throw Tialavea back there as the full back instead of Unga.
That big lineup would be good for power running, my only problem is I think if you can bring in guys who can also flew out you can spread the defense out and either 1) get a mis-match someplace or 2) make the defense burn a timeout. Or in a short yardage situation, like 2nd and short, come out in that formation, flex out to the spread and see how the defense reacts. Mess them up good.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:26 PM   #4
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
That big lineup would be good for power running, my only problem is I think if you can bring in guys who can also flew out you can spread the defense out and either 1) get a mis-match someplace or 2) make the defense burn a timeout. Or in a short yardage situation, like 2nd and short, come out in that formation, flex out to the spread and see how the defense reacts. Mess them up good.
The thing is I don't think a team is going to change their personnel that much if you go power formation for one play. They'd just put 10 in the box.

Last couple years were a great time for no huddle. I wouldn't want to go no huddle with a new QB. We want as much pressure of him as possible.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 03:27 PM   #5
FMCoug

FMCoug

There's a football category on this board? Wow!
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 04:20 PM   #6
TheSizzle36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
The thing is I don't think a team is going to change their personnel that much if you go power formation for one play. They'd just put 10 in the box.

Last couple years were a great time for no huddle. I wouldn't want to go no huddle with a new QB. We want as much pressure of him as possible.
I disagree... I think if the formation was brought in on a short-yardage situation, you would see some "heavy" personnel brought in defensively. A no-huddle to a spread formation would cause problems, IMO with the defense and get them to burn a timeout.

I do have concerns, however, with Hall running no-huddle, as it is one more thing to confuse the guy. Hopefully he proves capable. Of course, I also mentioned this concern in the original post.