cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2007, 07:29 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default TBS recruiting article and USC reaction

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=15&F=...3&T=643039&P=1

I feel bad everytime I say something about ZL, because I know he's a top notch person. But...these kinds of articles, IMHO, do nothing but hurt BYU.

And how come everytime I read a TBS article there turns out to be some factual innacuracy or misquoting or misrepresentation? The TBS guys are always getting duped it seems.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:33 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post

I feel bad everytime I say something about ZL, because I know he's a top notch person. But...these kinds of articles, IMHO, do nothing but hurt BYU.

And how come everytime I read a TBS article there turns out to be some factual innacuracy or misquoting or misrepresentation? The TBS guys are always getting duped it seems.
What does ZL have to do with this? Schwenke wrote this, not Talo.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:44 PM   #3
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
What does ZL have to do with this? Schwenke wrote this, not Talo.
OK, sorry, my bad. I don't know Schwenke so I don't feel so bad now.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:44 PM   #4
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post

All things considered I believe TBS brings more good than harm.

The only thing I dislike are the spiritual buildups that come from some of the TBS articles. These 17 year old kids will say the right things but often they don't even yet know what they believe. I can understand the "I like BYU because I am a mormon and I think it would be a comfortable environment for me." But when I get "I love the Savior almost as much as Coach Mendenhall...." I get scared. I recall the first time I wondered if Ofa Mohatu was all there was when I read his line that "Gary Crowton helped him to feel the spirit" or something along the lines of Gary having the spirit. I understand Ofa dropped that doozy inbetween drags on his cigarette. Now, neither Goatnapper nor his minions believe feeling the spirit and smoking a fag are mutually exclusive of each other, so if there are any Utefans whose pussies begin to ache with my mild mocking of Ofa pull the string someplace else. Ofa was a mormon and his line about the spirit was directed towards a mormon audience to let them know that he was hieing to Kolob in the next eye-twinkling when the reality was the dude was just a doubleweight marlboro man. I have no issues with Ofa smoking and I hope if his goal is to live in accordance with the LDS WOW, he is able to attain it. I think his lack of discipline lost him perhaps millions of dollars as it appears he has wasted his football opportunities. But, I thought the desire to appear to be something he wasn't might have been one of many steps in the wrong direction for the talented lad.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:57 PM   #5
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

I went on and read some of the USC board. I knew it wouldn't take long for the defenders to leap in there and muck up the SC board. When will it dawn on those guys that you won't ever convince some people about Mormons being a cult?
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:46 PM   #6
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
I went on and read some of the USC board. I knew it wouldn't take long for the defenders to leap in there and muck up the SC board. When will it dawn on those guys that you won't ever convince some people about Mormons being a cult?
My favorite is the guy that attempts to prove the church is not a cult by saying that mormons don't consider themselves a cult.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:36 PM   #7
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
My favorite is the guy that attempts to prove the church is not a cult by saying that mormons don't consider themselves a cult.
I too laughed at the defenders who hopped on the SC board. Just as funny is the brand new poster (4 posts) with his seasoned ‘recovering mormon’ takes which are straight out of the pamphlet: "I-was-baptized-at-8-served-a-missions-it's-a-huge-system-of-control-falsehood-adam-god-blah-blah..."
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 01:54 PM   #8
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I almost got laughed at by some of you

I came very close to getting on that USC site and defending the faith. I then realized it was a desire to once again do battle with some people who are just easy targets and not really the need to defend the faith. Since there are so many target rich opportunities on our own sites, I decided to let it go. Thankfully so as I would have hated to get mocked by some of you.

I wholeheartedly endorse nappers post. On the whole TBS does more good than harm. I would go as far as to say far more good. I do get a little tired of the "rise up and march forward Zion" tone, but hey that is just me.

I guess I am just concerned that there might be those who get so caught up in the spirituality part of BYU football that they once again forget that before that part can come you have to have a winning program.

That may be a sad commentary, but an accurate one. If we didn't have the wins, many of the inspirational stories and firesides would have audience the size of Utefans.com and a fireside put on by the head coach at USU.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 02:50 PM   #9
jay santos

Bronco uses the religion angle quite skillfully and he chooses the right time and place for it. He uses it to BYU's advantage.

When you play the religion angle unskillfully and in the wrong time and place, it can backfire on you. You look like religious zealots, you come off self-righteous, and you make BYU football staff appear to be more interested in sending kids on missions than sending them to the NFL.

TBS's use of the religion card seems to be more of the unskillful variety.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:30 PM   #10
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default If by TBS you mean the writers and editors

then I disagree with you a bit. Their audience is hungry for recruiting news and stories about players and recruits. Their feelings as to religion, the hc, BYU atmoshpere are all part of the story. Putting those things in the stories also doesn't hurt knowing that the ever present watchful eye of BYU is on the site too.

I just get a little uneasy when the follow up discussions lead to posts talking about the integrity and morality maturity of the kids who choose BYU, leading one to believe some believe if you don't select BYU you lack a moral maturity. That is when it gets out of hand and overboard. IMHO
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote