cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2007, 04:04 AM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gary Crowton and LSU

I just read this article Mike posted on Cougarboard.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...usc/index.html

I like Coach Crowton and really hope he does not feel the ire of those fans. I have a bad feeling his time at LSU won't end well.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 05:03 AM   #2
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I just read this article Mike posted on Cougarboard.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...usc/index.html

I like Coach Crowton and really hope he does not feel the ire of those fans. I have a bad feeling his time at LSU won't end well.
Is Crowton mentioned in the article? I couldn't find his name in it.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 05:28 AM   #3
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Is Crowton mentioned in the article? I couldn't find his name in it.
Crowton isn't mentioned. The article focused on how obnoxious, short-sighted and arrogant LSU fans are. If Crowton does not put in the coaching performance of a lifetime, I fear that they quickly will turn on him.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 05:53 AM   #4
Lost Student

Lost Student is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Crowton isn't mentioned. The article focused on how obnoxious, short-sighted and arrogant LSU fans are. If Crowton does not put in the coaching performance of a lifetime, I fear that they quickly will turn on him.
I haven't followed how Crowton did after he "resigned" from BYU (except Oregon's most recent game, of course). Is he still looked at as an offensive genius after his time at Oregon? Or was he forced out there as well?

I have to say that I still feel bad for the guy the way things happened here and hope that he experiences success.
Lost Student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:56 PM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Student View Post
I haven't followed how Crowton did after he "resigned" from BYU (except Oregon's most recent game, of course). Is he still looked at as an offensive genius after his time at Oregon? Or was he forced out there as well?

I have to say that I still feel bad for the guy the way things happened here and hope that he experiences success.
Other than one season at La Tech and one season at BYU, is Crowton really considered an offensive genius?

He was predictable and only imaginative the first few times his offense was seen. It really didn't take long for defensive coordinators who had half a brain to figure out how to stop him. At BYU, I'd say it was more Doman at QB than it was Crowton.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:39 PM   #6
Lost Student

Lost Student is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Other than one season at La Tech and one season at BYU, is Crowton really considered an offensive genius?

He was predictable and only imaginative the first few times his offense was seen. It really didn't take long for defensive coordinators who had half a brain to figure out how to stop him. At BYU, I'd say it was more Doman at QB than it was Crowton.
Well, that is part of my question, I guess. I thought that the general perception is that he was a very good offensive coordinator, not so good head coach. I'm just wondering if he is looked at as a good OC after his stint at Oregon.
Lost Student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 09:12 PM   #7
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I feel bad for Crowton cause he really seems like one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet, but yet eventually,,,inevitably things will go bad...not because of him being a bad person or a terrible OC...just that people seem to figure him and his style out very quick,,,then they pounce and he doesn't usually have the wherewithal, meaness, rudeness, or whatever you wanna call it to fight back.

It's kinda like the really nice guy who dates around, finds a really good looking girl, but eventually,,inevitably...because he's so good and nice to her,,she's gonna walk all over him, then chew him up and spit him out.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:28 PM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Student View Post
Well, that is part of my question, I guess. I thought that the general perception is that he was a very good offensive coordinator, not so good head coach. I'm just wondering if he is looked at as a good OC after his stint at Oregon.
I believe he is a solid offensive coordinator - as long as that is all he has to do. He seemed to be too much of a micromanager as a head coach. As Rocky pointed out, when the opposition started to figure his scheme out, he wasn't able to counter their changes. His trouble, IMO, was that he was trying to be too tricky rather than sticking to the fundamentals with a few wrinkles here and there.

I hope he is able to find some success in Baton Rouge. He's a good man.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:35 AM   #9
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I hope he is able to find some success in Baton Rouge. He's a good man.
As a man, I cannot say a bad word about Gary Crowton. Nobody wanted BYU to succeed more than he did. I sometimes wonder how much to say because I knew GC fairly well, and I have utmost respect for him and I don't think that he is as bad of a coach as a lot of people claim that he is. Again, part of this is probably the affinity I have for him as a man and not reflective of his results on the field. Also, no matter who you are, it's hard to win when you have players quit on you. Your scheme can be perfect, but unless you have players who believe in what you are trying to do, dare I say "Fully Invested", it's hard to succeed.

In other words, where Bronco has learned and made strengths I believe he was able to do so by watching Crowton fail.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:08 AM   #10
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
As a man, I cannot say a bad word about Gary Crowton. Nobody wanted BYU to succeed more than he did. I sometimes wonder how much to say because I knew GC fairly well, and I have utmost respect for him and I don't think that he is as bad of a coach as a lot of people claim that he is. Again, part of this is probably the affinity I have for him as a man and not reflective of his results on the field. Also, no matter who you are, it's hard to win when you have players quit on you. Your scheme can be perfect, but unless you have players who believe in what you are trying to do, dare I say "Fully Invested", it's hard to succeed.

In other words, where Bronco has learned and made strengths I believe he was able to do so by watching Crowton fail.
Good coach, but terrible manager/delegator. In order to succeed as a head coach a coach has to be good at both. I mean when you've got assistant coaches going up to apologize to Curtis Browns parents after that UNLV debacle, the one where Beck threw 67 times, and Curtis had ONLY 8 carries while averaging over 12 yards a pop.

Some could argue that was a ingrate assistant, but in reality that's a microcosm of Crowtons stubborn refusal to allow his assistants more input into the gameplans and being stubborn at acknowledging when something that isn't working ACTUALLY isn't working. I believe Crowton is a solid guy, a good OC, but a bad HC and Manager. I feel for him down at LSU, cause he's gonna get eaten alive.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 07-08-2007 at 06:11 AM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote