cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2008, 04:49 PM   #1
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default These are the kind of quotes quite

frankly I don't get.

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=3982716

Let me throw out 2 caveats. I don't know the context or if the quote had further explanation. Secondly, I am a huge fan of Tom Holmoe.

Now, can anyone tell me the purpose of such a statement. Do we have to constantly be feeding the "religious right" element of the fan base. What else could be the purpose.

Is that supposed to quell fans from clamoring to play big name schools. People can say, yea they are big time, but we won't lower our principles in order to play them. Of course "them" is unnamed. I hear them means Stanford. Well if it is Stanford, just say so. Just say, we don't like how we were treated so go screw yourselves. Instead we throw out the vague accusation against all and against none.

I asked a guy if he and his brother wanted to go to the Mariners game with us in Seattle or if he wanted to go to the fireside. He said something to the effect, I get enough of the BYU moral and spiritual shit from Bronco without having to go to the firesides. I know him and know he is active in the church. I think he like me, would like to see these guys talk more football. That's what we buy tickets for. If I want religious and moral discussions I will start attending Sunday School again.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:04 PM   #2
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
frankly I don't get.

I asked a guy if he and his brother wanted to go to the Mariners game with us in Seattle or if he wanted to go to the fireside. He said something to the effect, I get enough of the BYU moral and spiritual shit from Bronco without having to go to the firesides. I know him and know he is active in the church. I think he like me, would like to see these guys talk more football. That's what we buy tickets for. If I want religious and moral discussions I will start attending Sunday School again.
The religious mix that bronco employs turns me off a little but as long as they keep winning I can at least take joy in the way that it throws the Utes into a hissy fit. Once bronco hits a dry spell all his of religious talk will be less popular with the fan base.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
The religious mix that bronco employs turns me off a little but as long as they keep winning I can at least take joy in the way that it throws the Utes into a hissy fit. Once bronco hits a dry spell all his of religious talk will be less popular with the fan base.
I don't mind him using it to motivate, prepare and discipline his football team. I am interested in a winning football program and how he does it is fine with me as long as it is within NCAA guidelines.

I really don't mind if Holmoe doesn't schedule teams he considers dirt bags. I just don't need the BYU preaching of their philosophy to me in the sports pages. I think it would be nice if they would recognize that all BYU fans aren't of a "religious right" mentality constantly. There are times we would like to just relax and pull for a football team to win.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
I prefer he focus first and foremost on winning games. I'll leave the the religious emphasis on the ecclesiastical leaders.

Think the ridicule that he and BYU will go through once they lose their first game. They will be mocking the 'magic' comments, etc.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:14 PM   #5
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
frankly I don't get.

Let me throw out 2 caveats. I don't know the context or if the quote had further explanation. Secondly, I am a huge fan of Tom Holmoe.

Now, can anyone tell me the purpose of such a statement. Do we have to constantly be feeding the "religious right" element of the fan base. What else could be the purpose.

Is that supposed to quell fans from clamoring to play big name schools. People can say, yea they are big time, but we won't lower our principles in order to play them. Of course "them" is unnamed. I hear them means Stanford. Well if it is Stanford, just say so. Just say, we don't like how we were treated so go screw yourselves. Instead we throw out the vague accusation against all and against none.

We should these types, then when we beat them, it will be proof that the gospel is true.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:36 AM   #6
Mars

Mars is on a distinguished road
Cool

Those who piss and moan that BYU football is not like every other program in the nation are pissing in the wind. We're not the same by design.

BYU itself is a unique place, and that is on purpose, not by accident.