cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2008, 02:16 PM   #1
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Easter Celebration/Observation in the LDS Religion

In ward welfare meeting on Sunday, someone mentioned in passing that it was palm Sunday. This prompted an annoyed response by the High Priest Group leader that the LDS church basically doesn't celebrate easter at all. He noted that "other churches" spend just as much time on Easter as they do on Christmas and expressed his frustrations with the LDS faith's lack of Easter focus.

I'm a little biased, because I think this guy is a bit of a whiner, so I don't know how legitimate his point is. Sometimes I think he just whines to whine...so I don't know if I can make a fair judgement on his gripe.

So what do you think? Does he have a point?

Does the LDS church focus more on Christmas than Easter (as opposed to other churches).

Personally, I've never really thought that there has been much of a difference in the observation of either holiday. Easter usually falls near General Conference, so maybe that has something to do with it. Also, Christmas is a holiday that is looked forward to for social, cultural reasons moreso than Easter...but one isn't better than the other.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:18 PM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Has he bothered to look at this month's Ensign?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:23 PM   #3
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Has he bothered to look at this month's Ensign?
The bishop told him he would encourage families to read the ensign from the pulpit, and that seemed to satisfy this guy's complaint.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:48 PM   #4
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

If we're comparing/contrasting the LDS Church with other Churches in terms of official kinds of Easter activities, themed sermons, homilys, the observance of Lent, Palm Sunday, Good Friday, focused Bible studies, special musical nights and so on-the LDS Church isn't even close. And while I love the latest edition of the Ensign, putting that up against what some other churches do to celebrate Easter is pretty silly.

Some wards and stakes do more than others, but when it comes to celebrating Easter as a religious community, the LDS Church is on the lower end of any legitimate scale. We usually don't make a big production of Easter in the LDS Church, although I think we're as deeply committed to its message as anyone.

I think we're about par for Christmas. Plenty of stakes have a choral or musical night, exhibit creshes, go caroling in groups and so on.

I've been invited to attend a Good Friday service at the Methodist Church. I'm looking forward to it.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 03-18-2008 at 02:51 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:01 PM   #5
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

We definitely don't make as big a deal of Easter as many other denominations. Then again, you could argue that we celebrate Easter every week.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:30 PM   #6
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
In ward welfare meeting on Sunday, someone mentioned in passing that it was palm Sunday. This prompted an annoyed response by the High Priest Group leader that the LDS church basically doesn't celebrate easter at all. He noted that "other churches" spend just as much time on Easter as they do on Christmas and expressed his frustrations with the LDS faith's lack of Easter focus.

I'm a little biased, because I think this guy is a bit of a whiner, so I don't know how legitimate his point is. Sometimes I think he just whines to whine...so I don't know if I can make a fair judgement on his gripe.

So what do you think? Does he have a point?

Does the LDS church focus more on Christmas than Easter (as opposed to other churches).

Personally, I've never really thought that there has been much of a difference in the observation of either holiday. Easter usually falls near General Conference, so maybe that has something to do with it. Also, Christmas is a holiday that is looked forward to for social, cultural reasons moreso than Easter...but one isn't better than the other.
I think there's no question. I feel like I have been to Easter sac meetings where I wouldn't even know it was Easter except that we sang that horrible song "That Easter Morn." I whine about this every year. Personally, it's my favorite holiday, so I do feel like we do a fair amount at my house, but as far as the church culture goes, in my experience, Easter probably get's less notice than July 4th. (I'd say Christmas gets the most fanfare, followed by Pioneer Day).

There was an adult convert in our ward who told me once that she had to go to her old church on Easter because on Easter she "wanted to hear some preachin."

I'm hosting a Good Friday open house at my house this year, and I have to stop and ask myself what Good Friday even is because I certainly wasn't raised to observe that in any way.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:35 PM   #7
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
I think there's no question. I feel like I have been to Easter sac meetings where I wouldn't even know it was Easter except that we sang that horrible song "That Easter Morn." I whine about this every year. Personally, it's my favorite holiday, so I do feel like we do a fair amount at my house, but as far as the church culture goes, in my experience, Easter probably get's less notice than July 4th. (I'd say Christmas gets the most fanfare, followed by Pioneer Day).
Pioneer Day doesn't get a whole lot of attention here, but I'm a long ways from Utah. Generally the Sacrament Meeting talks are about Pioneers, but there is nothing else. No party, nothing in the other classes. For Easter, all the talks are about Easter, There are usually references in other classes, the Choir always has a special Easter something, and usually there is a Stake Music program on Sunday night of some sort. And of course the Bishop dressing up as the Easter Bunny and leading the closing song.

But yes, not nearly as big a deal as Christmas. A lot of me doesn't mind that. Much of the "bigness" of Christmas is due to the non-spiritual aspects of the holiday. I kind of like that Easter is just a very holy day, with little pomp or flash. But I can see how someone who was used to Christian traditions could be left a little cold by it.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:53 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Our region scheduled a regional scout encampment on thurs-sat this week.

That should tell you ho wmuch they consider easter to be a family holiday.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:57 PM   #9
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
Pioneer Day doesn't get a whole lot of attention here, but I'm a long ways from Utah. Generally the Sacrament Meeting talks are about Pioneers, but there is nothing else. No party, nothing in the other classes. For Easter, all the talks are about Easter, There are usually references in other classes, the Choir always has a special Easter something, and usually there is a Stake Music program on Sunday night of some sort. And of course the Bishop dressing up as the Easter Bunny and leading the closing song.

But yes, not nearly as big a deal as Christmas. A lot of me doesn't mind that. Much of the "bigness" of Christmas is due to the non-spiritual aspects of the holiday. I kind of like that Easter is just a very holy day, with little pomp or flash. But I can see how someone who was used to Christian traditions could be left a little cold by it.
Heh, nice throwaway line about the Easter Bunny, Clark.

I agree that the big hoo-hah over Christmas is related to how big a cultural event it is. But I wouldn't mind seeing something more with Easter.

I'm curious, what do people want the church to do to make it as big a deal? First Presidency Easter message? General Conference generally takes care of that. Stake Easter concerts or choir performances? Some stakes have them. Ward Easter Party and White Elephant Gift Exchange? A little weird, but ok.

Seriously, what would you have the church do?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:59 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Easter sunrise service outdoors.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote