cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 09:23 PM   #1
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default will members ever focus on obesity.....

as part of the word of wisdom instead of focusing on whether or not caffeine should be sold at byu?

i find it horribly ironic you can pound as many hot dogs, nachos with extra cheese, candy, and popcorn yet you cant buy a freakin coke.

seriously.

another thing that drives me insane, the inclusion of candy machines in the mtc. are you kidding? gorge yourself on donuts, candy bars and chips yet stay away from coke, as the spirit will abound with you as you cinch up your 42 size waist but will immediately leave if you pop back a coffee. (disclaimer, i wear a size 40 waist pants but it is because my legs are so big that i need to wear a size that large so that my booty and legs will fit into my pants without cutting off circulation to my money maker)

if i was ever a bishop i dont think id take a very hard line on things such as coffee and tea when it came to the word of wisdom. even smoking and drinking on occassion id see as very minimal.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:28 PM   #2
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
my money maker
What's your secret? I've never been able to make any money with mine - that would be nice, though. :shock:

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:47 PM   #3
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

I've noticed a bit of the obesity discussion in almost every WoW discussion in the past couple of years or so. Maybe Atkins was our Samuel the Lamanite to remind people to take it easy. Although, his stuff's a little weird too. Richard Simmons, maybe? I think it also goes beyond obesity into general gorging, like you mentioned. Wise use of resources, taming the carnal nature, etc.

One of the things I like to do when visiting wards is to look out for the staples of any ward. There are certain things present in all wards over 100 people or so (at least from my geographically diverse, yet time-limited vantage):
  • -A really large person (many wards are going beyond the 1 on this one)
    -A severely handicapped person
    -A horribly, HORRIBLY introverted teen, often a boy
    -The cynic who questions any changes proposed, even the most irrelevant changes in scheduling
    -The headstrong person who likes to "challenge" people in Sunday School
    -The Young Woman wearing a little too little

I'm sure I'm missing others right now. A Bishop? Not trying to be mean, just stating my observations.
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:49 PM   #4
SoCalCoug

Quote:
That's really the only one I look out for. :twisted:

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
Old 12-07-2005, 10:14 PM   #5
outlier

outlier is an unknown quantity at this point

IMHO, the WoW is just a humility test, a test to see if you're willing enough to jump through a few hoops. I don't think, in the eternal perspective, the cup of coffee or glass of wine or whatever matters much (or at all) in and of itself. I think what matters, though, is the show of humility and that we're willing to submit to commandments, even if they sometimes seem arbitrary or like they aren't hitting the intended mark.

There are a lot of other things that could be required under the "health code" that aren't (e.g., sufficient exercise, proper vitamin intake, etc.). For whatever reason, the line got drawn where it got drawn: here's a hoop, let's see who gets through.

o

The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.
- W. Churchill
outlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:30 PM   #6
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

So what should we take from the fact that one past winner of the show "the Biggest Loser" and one runner-up have been LDS?

LDS people have much self control when challenged in the form of a reality show, or LDS people are able to achieve greatness in the field of obesity?

And btw, do these people belong on the talk show and motivational speaker circuit? "Listen here people - I was once morbidly obese, we're talking the biggest of the big. Now I'm only moderately obese and I eat salad without dressing and salmon three meals a day. And you can do it too..."
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:33 PM   #7
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Head
-A horribly, HORRIBLY introverted teen, often a boy
First off when did you come to my ward when I was a teenager to see me filling the role of horribly introverted teen?

I need to clarify the young woman wearing a little too little point. Is she wearing too little because she is not the type who should be wearing what she is wearing. Or is she the fit type who is dressing with little clothing. My opinion on the later is it is never too little.

Funny story on the wearing little clothing. There is a new woman in our ward who I actually have become friends with. She was coming back to church right around the same time I was. Anyway she has a nice body including fake assets that Goatnapper would love. Her first day she was wearing something that showed cleavage. We were having our break the fast thing and some guy leans over to me and says he comes to church so he does not have to look at that. I was thinking, but did not say it, if there was more of that I would be mre motivated to go to church.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:38 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

My last bishop was ultra fit in his late 30's. It was weird. I had never had an athletic, fit, healthy bishop before. broke down the stereotypes.

Of course, this bishop was so unorthodox, that he made a guy like me exec. secretary.

I can only attribute that decision to an unorthodox bishop, and a desperate shortage of able bodies. and maybe a little of the Lord in there too somewhere, who knows.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:42 PM   #9
SoCalCoug

Quote:
We were having our break the fast thing and some guy leans over to me and says he comes to church so he does not have to look at that.
He's either a liar or gay. At the very least, he's way too self-righteous. Doubtless one of the mullahs. :wink:

Old 12-07-2005, 10:43 PM   #10
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlier
IMHO, the WoW is just a humility test, a test to see if you're willing enough to jump through a few hoops. I don't think, in the eternal perspective, the cup of coffee or glass of wine or whatever matters much (or at all) in and of itself. I think what matters, though, is the show of humility and that we're willing to submit to commandments, even if they sometimes seem arbitrary or like they aren't hitting the intended mark.

There are a lot of other things that could be required under the "health code" that aren't (e.g., sufficient exercise, proper vitamin intake, etc.). For whatever reason, the line got drawn where it got drawn: here's a hoop, let's see who gets through.
i think it might be something that we do to seperate ourselves. as if our religion didnt need anymore qualifiers to make ourselves seem different, we need a code of conduct regarding health that takes a hard line on some controversial issues, yet is very laxed on a healthy balanced diet. doesnt make much sense to fusnik. im thinking its just something to say, hey we dont do this we are different.

was it not joseph who said that tea and coffee were not what the lord intended when he said hot drinks?

were not brigham and joseph smokers and drinkers on occassion?

not that this matters, just wondering if parts of the word of wisdom will be amended and in 50 years we will be looking back saying it was a thing of policy and not doctrine.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote