cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2009, 02:31 PM   #51
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

did you say why you moved the hive? I don't remeber, and I don't see it in the previous entries here.

no honey yesterday? I made honey lime chicken enchiladas for dinner yesterday, so I could have used some of your honey!
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:38 AM   #52
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
did you say why you moved the hive? I don't remeber, and I don't see it in the previous entries here.

no honey yesterday? I made honey lime chicken enchiladas for dinner yesterday, so I could have used some of your honey!
I moved the hive because it was formerly next to my air con unit, and we needed the unit serviced. In general, when you move a hive, it is best to move it a far distance. Otherwise the bees will get confused and return to the former location of the hive. So if I had moved it into my backyard, I would have bees returning to the former location. But since I moved it many miles away, the bees have to completely reorient and they return to the hive as they should.

I probably won't be harvesting honey in the fall. They need to store enough honey to survive the winter. They eat the honey to generate enough warmth in their cluster to survive, and then get ramped up in population before the spring nectar flow. If you are not careful, your bees will starve to death.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:21 AM   #53
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Took a look at the hive yesterday. Lots of bees coming in and out. Looks like an airport. No signs of ants from the outside since I made the modifications on the legs of the stand.

This is probably the fall nectar flow, so bees are now storing the honey that will support them over the winter and allow them to survive until the next spring. I probably will not harvest any.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:35 AM   #54
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Update. I now have three beehives. The original one that is at a friend's home. And two new ones that were originally my father's. One of the two is very strong, the other is weak. Both of these are at my home.

Today I went and checked on the hive at my friend's home. I hadn't cracked this open since last fall. It was full to the brim of honey. I was surprised. So I put on another super. I'm going to need to harvest this honey sometime soon.

I think it's going to be a very good year down here for honey. The bees are working like mad. It's a beautiful sight to see, the bees darting through the shafts of light through the trees. Coming and going.

This one at my friend's house is more aggressive than my other two. They got me good tonight. Stung me three times through my clothes. Once in the right pec, once in the right inner thigh, and one on the right buttock. They made their presence known. I had messed with them twice today. First time no problem, second time, they were upset.

I may eventually need to requeen this hive. Though I doubt I will ever be able to find the queen.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:45 PM   #55
MikeWaters
Demiurge

One of the beehives at my home. This was my father's. I picked it up recently. It is a strong hive. I need to open it up and see what's going on inside.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #56
Zulu451
house-elf 3rd class

Zulu451 is on a distinguished road

I enjoy reading about your beekeeping hobby. You will have to send me some honey to north carolina!
Old 04-28-2010, 08:09 PM   #57
MikeWaters
Demiurge

No, you will have to come visit and pick some up in person.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:27 AM   #58
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Record haul of honey for me this year. About 100lb so far. And I have the stings to prove it. This evening I got one on the knee, a few on the biceps, and one on the back. And under my four layers of clothing, I almost died of heat exhaustion. My "main" shirt, when I took it off, was literally wring-able.

Cougarguard 2.0 - honey production.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:28 AM   #59
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I've also found out that there are some real pricks among beekeepers. So I fit right in.

If my experience in getting in a recent flamewar on a beekeeping board is any indication...
Old 05-11-2011, 01:03 AM   #60
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Beekeeper in Arkansas got flooded out. This was always my fear with my beehive I kept in back next to the creek. It was probably 6 or 7 feet above the normal level of the creek. In the past year or so I never saw the creek get too close to the hive, but it was causing me ulcers. So I finally moved the hive higher. And now I don't worry about that. I worry about other things.

Tough to imagine seeing all my hives spilled on the side of a road. Esp. if it was my living. Raising bees is a tough way to pay the bills.