cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Will Sloan ever win COY?
Yes 1 6.67%
No 14 93.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-2008, 07:58 PM   #1
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Will Sloan ever win the COY Award?

Will Sloan ever win COY? Somehow I doubt it. He doesn't win it when the Jazz win 60+ games. He doesn't win it when he makes the playoffs after Karl and John are both gone. He won't win it this year.

It's a regular-season award, so even if the Jazz win the NBA Championship before he retires, it won't make a difference.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:12 PM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Phil Jackson has only won it once, yet has coached 9 championship teams. The year the Lakers repeated, going 15-1 in the post-season and earning the best post-season record since the 15 game format, they faced Larry Brown's 76ers and beat them 4-1 in the Finals. Larry Brown won COY.

Pat Riley won it 3 times....one each with the Lakers, Knicks, and Heat. When he won with the Lakers, he won it in 1990....a year in which the Lakers did NOT win the title. He won it with the Heat in the late 90s, not when he won the title. He won it with the Knicks the year the Knicks lost to the Rockets.

This award, like most of the other voting awards, makes little sense. Sloan has as good a chance as anyone. In fact, winning a title almost hurts your chances.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:14 PM   #3
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I think part of the problem is that it's so hard to determine how many wins good coaching is good for. Is Doc Rivers a good coach? Last year I'd have said no, but this year the Celtics have 63 wins and lead the league in defense.

Does that mean Rivers is a great coach, or could anyone sit on the bench and watch Garnett, Allen, and Pierce dominate in the East?

Same problem with Jackson. He won with Jordan, and then again with a dominant Kobe-Shaq combo. How much of the Chicago and L.A. titles were him? There's enough disagreement on how to measure this that in the end, there's no rhyme or reason to who gets the award.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:42 AM   #4
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
I think part of the problem is that it's so hard to determine how many wins good coaching is good for. Is Doc Rivers a good coach? Last year I'd have said no, but this year the Celtics have 63 wins and lead the league in defense.
A huge reason, IMO, for the Celtics turnaround on the defensive end (besides adding KG) is because of Tom Thibodeau as an assistant coach. He worked with Jeff Van Gundy for around 20 years and is regarded as one of the leagues best defensive coaches. His name is thrown around now as one of the top candidates for a head coaching job this off-season. I wouldn't be surprised if he lands a job.

As far as Sloan is concerned, he didn't win it the year after Stockton and Malone, and he really deserved it that year. The team was supposed to be the worst team in NBA history and he won around 50% of the games with Carlos Arroyo and Keith McCleod as PGs, and Matt Harpring missed half of the season with the first of his many knee surgeries. If he didn't win it that year, he'll never win it. And that year he got jobbed.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:50 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

The only folks that care if Sloan wins the COY would be fans. I doubt Sloan even cares about it. He's all about the team.

That said, it would be nice to see him get it, but I don't think he will. No worries though, as I'm guessing his 1000+ career wins will get him into the Hall of Fame.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:57 AM   #6
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
The only folks that care if Sloan wins the COY would be fans. I doubt Sloan even cares about it. He's all about the team.

That said, it would be nice to see him get it, but I don't think he will. No worries though, as I'm guessing his 1000+ career wins will get him into the Hall of Fame.
I agree. Who cares? It is a pretty stupid award that is basically meaningless, except for maybe salary negotiations or contract extensions. Do they even publicly present to the Coach? I don't recall seeing a COY ceremony.

Jerry Sloan is a first ballot lock for the HOF. There isn't even an issue there. To clarify, HOF as a coach, NOT as a player.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:12 AM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I agree. Who cares? It is a pretty stupid award that is basically meaningless, except for maybe salary negotiations or contract extensions. Do they even publicly present to the Coach? I don't recall seeing a COY ceremony.

Jerry Sloan is a first ballot lock for the HOF. There isn't even an issue there. To clarify, HOF as a coach, NOT as a player.
I agree that he'll be there as a coach, not a player. The fact that he was the first Chicago Bull to have his jersey retired is a good enough reward for his playing career.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote