cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2008, 05:15 AM   #51
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
No that's just your sexual attraction to Obama, and the rise is coming from you, not from anybody else.
Are you sexually frustrated? I would have to guess about 85% of your posts have some reference to sex in them.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:57 PM   #52
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

If this election actually does entice people of EITHER party to 'come out in droves', it would be the first time. I won't hold my breath.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:59 PM   #53
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
If this election actually does entice people of EITHER party to 'come out in droves', it would be the first time. I won't hold my breath.
Look at what the primaries are doing right now! People are energized on the Dem side. You will see a large turnout. The Dem turnout in Indiana for the primary almost equaled the total votes cast for Kerry in Indiana in the general election in 2004. That is remarkable.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:02 PM   #54
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Look at what the primaries are doing right now! People are energized on the Dem side. You will see a large turnout. The Dem turnout in Indiana for the primary almost equaled the total votes cast for Kerry in Indiana in the general election in 2004. That is remarkable.
Bull. People are energized because it's a contest. Had the Dems been smart enough to get behind one candidate early on, you would not see the turnout (or the money machine) that you see today.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:06 PM   #55
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Are you sexually frustrated? I would have to guess about 85% of your posts have some reference to sex in them.
It's your boner for Obama is so noticeable, I had to mention it. You get a rise out of that Whacko, even you're smart enough to know better.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:28 PM   #56
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Bull. People are energized because it's a contest. Had the Dems been smart enough to get behind one candidate early on, you would not see the turnout (or the money machine) that you see today.
Which is why turnout in Republican primaries early on matched that in Dem primaries, right? I suggest you give Snipe a call right now and make an appointment for November. He is a good psychiatrist, from what I understand.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:28 PM   #57
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It's your boner for Obama is so noticeable, I had to mention it. You get a rise out of that Whacko, even you're smart enough to know better.
Make it 86%.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:44 PM   #58
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Which is why turnout in Republican primaries early on matched that in Dem primaries, right? I suggest you give Snipe a call right now and make an appointment for November. He is a good psychiatrist, from what I understand.
Why are we comparing Dems and Repubs? The Republican turnout was higher (than in previous years) when there was a contest, yes. Just like now with the Democrats.

Had the Dems settled on a nominee earlier on, their turnout would not be what it is now.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:17 PM   #59
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Why are we comparing Dems and Repubs? The Republican turnout was higher (than in previous years) when there was a contest, yes. Just like now with the Democrats.

Had the Dems settled on a nominee earlier on, their turnout would not be what it is now.
Of course having a contested primary is adding voters to the polls. But you are a fool if you think that is the sole (or even biggest) factor right now driving people to vote. Look at the turnout in the primaries in 2004 or 2000 for the Democrats which were contested and compare that turnout to 2008. Get back to me on your results. Take a look at the turnout in Michigan and Florida too, even knowing their votes wouldn't count at all! Sure, the turnout would have been higher if those states were contested, but with no contest, no advertising, and assurances that their votes would be meaningless, a total of 2.34 million people voted in the Dem primary in those states (compared to a total of 914,000 in 2004). You have blinders on in this election, Tex. It isn't going to go well for Republicans. Boehner and the House Republicans know it, and I think you do too but don't want to say so.

Compare the Dems turnout at any point in time during this primary season to that of Republicans as well. You simply have to conclude, if you are being honest, that the Democrats have a ton of passion and energy this year that independents and moderate Republicans are latching onto, as well as groups that previously haven't been involved at significant levels in the political process
Old 05-08-2008, 06:44 PM   #60
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Of course having a contested primary is adding voters to the polls. But you are a fool if you think that is the sole (or even biggest) factor right now driving people to vote. Look at the turnout in the primaries in 2004 or 2000 for the Democrats which were contested and compare that turnout to 2008. Get back to me on your results. Take a look at the turnout in Michigan and Florida too, even knowing their votes wouldn't count at all! Sure, the turnout would have been higher if those states were contested, but with no contest, no advertising, and assurances that their votes would be meaningless, a total of 2.34 million people voted in the Dem primary in those states (compared to a total of 914,000 in 2004). You have blinders on in this election, Tex. It isn't going to go well for Republicans. Boehner and the House Republicans know it, and I think you do too but don't want to say so.

Compare the Dems turnout at any point in time during this primary season to that of Republicans as well. You simply have to conclude, if you are being honest, that the Democrats have a ton of passion and energy this year that independents and moderate Republicans are latching onto, as well as groups that previously haven't been involved at significant levels in the political process
We'll see what voter turnout is like in November. I'm skeptical as to the effectual increase in turnout, but I don't dismiss the possibility. I'll be unsurprised, though, if the turnout increase is marginal.

IMO, if McCain truly does have considerably more appeal to the moderate voters, The Dems had better hope they do get massive turnout. (I'm not convinced he does have more appeal, btw.)

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote