cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2008, 01:40 AM   #1
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tough break guys...

It's a big task to beat UNLV on their home floor.

If Hair should be strung up for only one reason, I would choose the MWC tourney for that reason before the poor judgment with the tv situation, because the lack of tv coverage does not give any team a home court advantage.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:43 AM   #2
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default The REAL question, what has Hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post

If Hair should be strung up for only one reason, I would choose the MWC tourney for that reason before the poor judgment with the tv situation, because the lack of tv coverage does not give any team a home court advantage.
done positive? He runs this league like a mid-major and we deserve that label from the TV contract to the Tournament being held on UNLV's home court regardless of where they finish in the season. They don't deserve the game at the T&M. And then the best our football champion gets is a 4th place PAC-10 team?
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:44 AM   #3
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Frankly, if we can't beat them on their floor, screw us. They outplayed us and I think Kruger did an excellent coaching job. Didn't help that Wink became freak at the end of the game.

We had plenty of fans there and even the mo in the first half. Gotta sustain that.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:46 AM   #4
exUte

Default Doesn't help that a freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Frankly, if we can't beat them on their floor, screw us. They outplayed us and I think Kruger did an excellent coaching job. Didn't help that Wink became freak at the end of the game.

We had plenty of fans there and even the mo in the first half. Gotta sustain that.
outplays our co-POY and 1st team center. Plaisted was a waste today. 15 offensive rebounds for UNLV. Trent...........nut it up man.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:50 AM   #5
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post

I disagree. This is one of the few times I think BYU has a legitimate gripe. BYU will take a big hit on seeding with this loss. BYU had played itself into a solid 6 seed and I think BYU is the better team than UNLV on a neutral court.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:53 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I disagree. This is one of the few times I think BYU has a legitimate gripe. BYU will take a big hit on seeding with this loss. BYU had played itself into a solid 6 seed and I think BYU is the better team than UNLV on a neutral court.
I'm with Napper here. BYU will drop in the Dance seeding and the selection committee will only see that UNLV beat BYU for the auto bid, not that it was on the Rebels home floor.

BYU wins this game if it's played anywhere but Vegas.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:54 AM   #7
exUte

Default If it's lower than 8, we're one and done.

Quote:
I'm with Napper here. BYU will drop in the Dance seeding and the selection committee will only see that UNLV beat BYU for the auto bid, not that it was on the Rebels home floor.

BYU wins this game if it's played anywhere but Vegas.
again.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:00 AM   #8
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I am a bit confused. Perhaps someone can help me out here, since I rarely get to see BYU basketball games.

Is what we saw tonight pretty exemplary of Rose's offensive schemes? Specifically, when we play TP and Leethiopia, we have a distinct height advantage. In the case of TP, we had height and muscle.

Is it pretty common for those guys to simply roam around the perimeter rather than get set up and demand the ball down low?

I think I can count on one hand the number of times the entire game where we made a concerted effort to run a play where our big guy gets set up on one of the blocks and waits for the pass. Late in the game, TP had a little bit of success working it inside, but we never really seemed to try to establish an inside game at all.

Tonight was like the tryouts for the Rex Chapman All-Stars. Loads of 3s or outside jumpers.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:12 AM   #9
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I am a bit confused. Perhaps someone can help me out here, since I rarely get to see BYU basketball games.

Is what we saw tonight pretty exemplary of Rose's offensive schemes? Specifically, when we play TP and Leethiopia, we have a distinct height advantage. In the case of TP, we had height and muscle.

Is it pretty common for those guys to simply roam around the perimeter rather than get set up and demand the ball down low?

I think I can count on one hand the number of times the entire game where we made a concerted effort to run a play where our big guy gets set up on one of the blocks and waits for the pass. Late in the game, TP had a little bit of success working it inside, but we never really seemed to try to establish an inside game at all.

Tonight was like the tryouts for the Rex Chapman All-Stars. Loads of 3s or outside jumpers.
Against teams as athletic as UNLV, that has been the way BYU has played for a very long time. BYU seeks to get out and score in transition through good ball movement. UNLV was able to force BYU out of that through great transition defense. In the half court set, BYU seeks to go inside out and force teams to double on Trent and then kill them with good ball movement to find the wide open guy on the perimeter. Trent wasn't doing his part to demand a double team tonight so it went downhill from there.

To be honest with you the offense was not the reason BYU lost. Even in the second half they still got good looks - even the 3's as many were uncontested. The issue was the inability to defend the UNLV penetration which resulted in too many offensive boards for the Rebels.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:17 AM   #10
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Against teams as athletic as UNLV, that has been the way BYU has played for a very long time. BYU seeks to get out and score in transition through good ball movement. UNLV was able to force BYU out of that through great transition defense. In the half court set, BYU seeks to go inside out and force teams to double on Trent and then kill them with good ball movement to find the wide open guy on the perimeter. Trent wasn't doing his part to demand a double team tonight so it went downhill from there.

To be honest with you the offense was not the reason BYU lost. Even in the second half they still got good looks - even the 3's as many were uncontested. The issue was the inability to defend the UNLV penetration which resulted in too many offensive boards for the Rebels.
I agree with your last paragraph.

I was just shocked that what I saw tonight might be what we generally try to do on any given night. From what I understand you to be saying, it is NOT. I dont know what TP's reluctance was on offense. He could have had his way. I did notice that he was a bit cold in the first few minutes of the first half. I wonder if he got into his own head.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote