cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The phenomenon of the LDS welfare scammer

Apparently, there are people (LDS) who go around within cities or states, hit up wards for welfare, until things dry up, and then move on to other wards.

Kind of an interesting way to live.

Here's the part I don't get. What's up with expecting/demanding the church help you, but then having nothing to do with the church (i.e. activity)? Is it really too much to expect someone who is getting all or most of their bills paid by other members to actually fellowship with the saints from time to time? Bizarre.

If you see gray hairs on your bishop, it's a good bet many of them are from having to deal with the temporal needs of his flock.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Because somebody who believed in the Church wouldn't do that.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:06 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

these people are 100x more likely to become "offended" at church leaders than the average member.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:57 PM   #4
wuapinmon

wuapinmon is on a distinguished road

I was in the branch presidency in NOLA for four years. We had people like this come by a couple of times a year. My BP would usually just offer them one time help with the understanding that unless they lived in the city, came to church, etc, they were cut off from that point on.

We once had a bomb threat called in not 15 mins after he told someone to take a hike. We searched the building and didn't do anything else.

People on Church welfare often don't get to that point by making correct decisions, so a certain amount of understanding is involved, but the Spirit will tell you very quickly when someone is trying to game the system.
wuapinmon is offline   Reply With Quote