cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2008, 04:25 AM   #61
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Really? List one accomplishment she discussed that pertained to her time as mayor. Just one.
I just read the speech and I stand corrected. Her list of accomplishments were all specific to her role as governor.

Still, I'd love to hear your list of Barack's accomplishments that make him qualified to be POTUS.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:28 AM   #62
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Really? List one accomplishment she discussed that pertained to her time as mayor. Just one.
She didn't discuss it, but she did make Wasilla a nice destination for tourism and conventions. You think landing the '94 AIP convention was easy?
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:41 AM   #63
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
She didn't discuss it, but she did make Wasilla a nice destination for tourism and conventions. You think landing the '94 AIP convention was easy?
I admit to having googled mapped "Wasilla."

Just the name "wasilla" sounds like a fun place to visit, since it sounds so much like "wassail." Yum!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:42 AM   #64
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Here is one measure of the effectiveness of Palin as VP pick: how many of you watched Biden give HIS speech?

Like her or not, people are now listening.
I watched Biden. I thought his speech was good and I am not a Democrat. He didn't win me over, but it was a good speech. Palin didn't win me over as a candidate tonight either, but I liked her speech. She is likable whatever qualifications she has or doesn't have.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:42 AM   #65
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
I am reading the transcripts on CNN. For a party that wants four more years of the same, I find it strange that nobody has mentioned Bush's name even once. Reagan over and over, but no Bush.
Wasn't that great?! They kept saying they were taking the party into the future, but all the references were to Reagan. I think even Lincoln and Roosevelt got a shout out.

I also loved how Mitt tried so hard to point out all the ways in which the current administration is not actually conservative, without mentioning that the McCain platform isn't either.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:46 AM   #66
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

For the record, I listened to it on NPR. I didn't watch it. I doubt I'd have heard much of it at the Magnolia Pub. As YOhio noted, I don't have a TV. They did say it was a very credible reading of a speech, and they said it more than once.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:46 AM   #67
Ma'ake

Ma'ake is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Still, I'd love to hear your list of Barack's accomplishments that make him qualified to be POTUS.
Co-sponsored immigration reform with McCain (interesting, eh?)

Ethics / lobbying reform

Worked with Lugar on program to find & secure Russian WMD

Was opposed to the Iraq War before we invaded.
Ma'ake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:49 AM   #68
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the big time, Mrs. Palin. You did nicely. Great one-liners ... if that meat were any redder it'd have bled all over the stage.

The complaints about it not having enough substance gave me a smile. You people have apparently never watched a convention speech before.

I think we have a very fun race to look forward to.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:50 AM   #69
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
What did we learn about Palin tonight? I thought one of the most telling moments of the speech was when she said Dems had belittled her experience as mayor, so she would tell us a little about what the mayor actually does. Then she didn't tell us anything about what the mayor does, saying only it is more than a community organizer does. It almost sounded like an admission that she had nothing to say about being mayor.
I reiterate Venkman's request that Cali tell us if this was a serious comment. It's downright funny, unless he's being serious, in which case I just want to say to him, "Nice doggy," and give him a pat on the head.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:52 AM   #70
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Welcome to the big time, Mrs. Palin. You did nicely....if that meat were any redder it'd have bled all over the stage.
Typical Tex post......filthy sexual innuendo.

Grow up, loser.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote