cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2008, 08:17 PM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default 9-11 Conspiracies

A few weeks ago I had the chance to watch this program on the History Channel:

http://store.aetv.com/html/product/i...html?id=103790

If it comes on again, I strongly recommend you put it on the DVR and check it out. It is a two-hour program that goes through each of the 9-11 conspiracy theories (yes, there are several) and analyzes each in detail, with testimony from scientific experts.

One of the more interesting parts of the program is how it analyzed the psychology of conspiracy theory movements. One expert said that 9-11 was such a shocking act that people could not accept (either consciously or subconsciously) that it was pulled off by a small handful of wackos. Somehow, they feel "safer" believing that these things can only happen via large consortiums of powerful people and organizations. When in reality, acts like this are much more likely to be pulled off by small groups, since large numbers increase risk and potential for discovery. People also feel (subconsciously perhaps) that by helping to "solve the conspiracy", they are doing something to counter the evil act and make it right. Makes a lot of sense.

Two things shocked me from the program:

1) A surprisingly large number of Americans now buy into the conspiracy angle. Something like 40%. Experts attribute part of this to frustration over the Iraq War.

2) The proponents of the theories are absolute nutjobs. Well, I already knew that, but I had no idea how massive the movement is and how passionate they are about it.

One of the biggest hits of the conspiracy movement is a "documentary" made by some HS kids in California (I can't remember the name). They put it together in one of the kids' bedrooms and they distribute it over the internet. It has been viewed tens of millions of times on YouTube, etc. These kids are idiots, with no common sense, little life experience, and no technical expertise. And yet, the public laps this stuff up. Kind of scary.

My favorite part of the program is when they are interviewing one of the leaders of the "9-11 Truth" movement. She was talking about the controlled demolition theory and was discussing how rapidly the towers came down. She said "When building collapse from top to bottom, they do it in sequence. They go 'ker-plunk', 'ker-plunk', 'ker-plunk', etc. Well, we had an expert on buildings come to us and we timed her while she said 'ker-plunk' 110 times." <she paused here for dramatic effect - then continued in a hushed voice> "... and it took ALMOST THREE MINUTES". I about fell out of my chair laughing.