cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 05:14 PM   #1
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A new arms race?

Should Putin be considered a threat? Or is this just a guy who is less relevant than he thinks he should be and is trying to get noticed?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe...eut/index.html

Personally, I think we ought to keep an eye on him for now, but not worry too much about it until there is a real threat.

I'm curious if he feels that the West doesn't see him as relevant on the world stage as he thinks he is, so he's just trying to get some time in the news.

I'll admit that I'm more on the ignorant side when it comes to Putin. Does anyone with a bit more knowledge about the guy have any thoughts to share?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 03:17 AM   #2
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road
Default I think Russia is the biggest x factor in world politics

Putin seems to want an East/West divide for Russia and the former Soviet Republics. Like Venezuala, the amount of oil and gas Russia controls makes the situation there all the more relevant
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 03:20 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Putin is a good guy. I know this because Bush felt the Holy Spirit when he looked into his eyes.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 03:21 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Putin is a good guy. I know this because Bush felt the Holy Spirit when he looked into his eyes.
LOL!

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:28 AM   #5
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road
Default oh yeah, he saw his soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
or something like that. i forgot about that. he sounded like a gypsie soothsayer.
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:47 PM   #6
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Should Putin be considered a threat? Or is this just a guy who is less relevant than he thinks he should be and is trying to get noticed?

Personally, I think we ought to keep an eye on him for now, but not worry too much about it until there is a real threat.

I'm curious if he feels that the West doesn't see him as relevant on the world stage as he thinks he is, so he's just trying to get some time in the news.

I'll admit that I'm more on the ignorant side when it comes to Putin. Does anyone with a bit more knowledge about the guy have any thoughts to share?

Why missile defense systems in E. Europe if the E. Europeans don't even want it?
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:56 PM   #7
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Why missile defense systems in E. Europe if the E. Europeans don't even want it?
Excellent question. If they don't feel it's needed, then I say don't do it.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:18 PM   #8
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post

I have two thoughts on Putin. The first is that this is almost 100% posturing. Where as we actually have the ability to do the things we talk about, he can do little more than posture. Russia has not cured the problems that made them a third world economy when the were the USSR.

Second, however, is that Putin is an old KGB guy and so my guess is that he clings to delusions of old Soviet granduer. This might make him a little dangerous. Recall that before the Soviet Union fell that no one really saw that coming. Yes everyone understood that it was collapsing in on itself and that it was impoverished, but much of the prevailing wisdom was that this would cause it to act more and more desperate and more like a cornered animal. Had the leader at the time been someone other than Gorbachev, things might have unfolded much differently.

Putin is a thug and he is going to beat his chest, but I ultimately see Russia not very threatening. Militant Islam and communist China and much bigger issues in the world. Chinese power is on the rise and they must be contended with, Islam is taking Europe over by attrition. I'm not worried much about Putin. In the end, what is he REALLY going to do. Nuke Europe or the US?
Old 06-08-2007, 09:43 PM   #9
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I have two thoughts on Putin. The first is that this is almost 100% posturing. Where as we actually have the ability to do the things we talk about, he can do little more than posture. Russia has not cured the problems that made them a third world economy when the were the USSR.

Second, however, is that Putin is an old KGB guy and so my guess is that he clings to delusions of old Soviet granduer. This might make him a little dangerous. Recall that before the Soviet Union fell that no one really saw that coming. Yes everyone understood that it was collapsing in on itself and that it was impoverished, but much of the prevailing wisdom was that this would cause it to act more and more desperate and more like a cornered animal. Had the leader at the time been someone other than Gorbachev, things might have unfolded much differently.

Putin is a thug and he is going to beat his chest, but I ultimately see Russia not very threatening. Militant Islam and communist China and much bigger issues in the world. Chinese power is on the rise and they must be contended with, Islam is taking Europe over by attrition. I'm not worried much about Putin. In the end, what is he REALLY going to do. Nuke Europe or the US?
All true about Putin's posturing. But there is something else about this that is a little disconcerting for me. Naturally Iran and others pose a threat and I'm not discounting that. However, Europe should defend themselves and they don't really want this either. Why continue to pay for their defense? The other thing is that Bush probably wants this in place now so that we can more conveniently go to war with Iran and stage air strikes from E. Europe with that defense system already in place. For the neocons I guess this isn't a problem as they seem to want to expand the Iraq war and maybe even go after N. Korea.

Last edited by BlueK; 06-08-2007 at 09:49 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:40 AM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
I agree with this. If they don't want the help defending them, let's not do it.

I was just more curious what others' thoughts were, because, as I mentioned, I'm not up to speed on Putin and what kind of a guy he is.