cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 09:15 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A giant of a man has passed away.

Colonel Wilson, ward member in College Station passed away after suffering from multiple illnesses.

He was a Colonel in the Vietnam War, and suffered an injury that damaged his hip, that forced him to walk with a cane.

I got this far in typing and Zulu called me to tell me that he had committed suicide, and that was the cause of death.

It really doesn't fit the man I know. But I know he must have been suffering at the end.

Of all the people I have met in my life, he is probably the most generous unassuming man I met. He basically funded the scouting program in our ward, and made sure that every scout had a uniform and every scout got to summer camp. he would have them work at the fastfood restaurant that he owned.

Col. Wilson was featured in a book by a general authority several years, giving an account of his time in the Vietnam War, and how he joined the church. It was about courageous members.

I have no doubt that Col. Wilson is in a better place now. It's hard to understand how this happened, but in my mind, it is nothing more than one small occurrence in a long a life dedicated to others.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:21 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

http://www.theeagle.com/stories/0614...0070614064.php
Old 06-14-2007, 09:31 PM   #3
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Not to pull a Mike Waters, sounds like he lived a great life, but did he throw away all of his good works by killing himself? Where does he end up?
Old 06-14-2007, 09:34 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Not to pull a Mike Waters, sounds like he lived a great life, but did he throw away all of his good works by killing himself? Where does he end up?
In my non-mullah conception of the universe, there is a place of glory for men like this. I don't see it as black and white.

Also, if you did take a literal interpretation of punishment related to suicide, I think there were likely mitigating factors, namely severe depression.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:38 PM   #5
Zulu451
house-elf 3rd class

Zulu451 is on a distinguished road

This man was truly a hero in a day where heros are few and far between. He commissioned me as a Captain in the US Army and embodies everything good about our country, religon and the human race.

I cannot even begin to imagine the burdens that he carried around for the past 45 years, from war to his health. I have no doubt that he is free from immeasurable pain, both of mind and body.

Today, a true hero has fallen, but never will be forgoten.
Zulu451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:39 PM   #6
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
In my non-mullah conception of the universe, there is a place of glory for men like this. I don't see it as black and white.

Also, if you did take a literal interpretation of punishment related to suicide, I think there were likely mitigating factors, namely severe depression.
In my biased opinion, mental illness is :

a) the most misunderstood illness / set of diseases amongst church members b) the illness/disease that the Lord will be the most forgiving about regarding your actions

That said, I also think it's a stretch to assume all suicide is due to true mental illness. But I figure the Lord can sort it all out.

And no I'm not mentally ill, but my Mom was.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:40 PM   #7
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Not to pull a Mike Waters
Then don't. Leave the graves of men untarnished and allow God his mercy.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:42 PM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

there are a few good talks on suicide and the Church has mellowed in its position.

I imagine God will look tenderly upon those in severe situations, at least I hope so.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:52 AM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The part that is sort of weird to me, is that as little as two weeks ago, as he was thought to have been approaching death due to severe illness, with all his family gathered in town, he has his testimony recorded by lifelong friends and members on audiotape.

Suicide is so againt Mormon belief, that it really is perplexing how he was so valiant, yet in the end he committed an act that many Mormons (and non-Mormons for that matter) have a hard time understanding.

I loved this man. I can't say I was close to him, but I loved him. There have been few men on earth that have served his fellow man like Colonel Wilson.

I hope his family finds solace and peace.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:55 AM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Retain these thoughts for future note so that we don't want to inflict further harm upon our loved ones who remain. Nonetheless, one hopes for a compassionate Father to accept those such as this man, even though his end may be strange and inconsistent.