cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2009, 05:33 PM   #11
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Notice Waters started this thread after the horrendous FSU loss. He would never have started this thread while BYU was undefeated.
Notice you posted about BYU football after a horrendous loss. You'd never say anything if BYU were undefeated.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:28 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
You may be right. I love watching the game, but no one will ever play it without a major injury at some time in their career if they play long enough.
Typically we think of damaged knees and ankles, busted shoulders.

But we don't consider that even young players are getting brain injuries. I think the number of concussions among high school players is in the hundreds of thousands per year.

Look at many of the know-it-all jock-types on these message boards. Obviously concussed many times.

But seriously, the sport is much more dangerous than anyone ever thought, and it's going to become an all-minority sport like boxing.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:07 PM   #13
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Typically we think of damaged knees and ankles, busted shoulders.

But we don't consider that even young players are getting brain injuries. I think the number of concussions among high school players is in the hundreds of thousands per year.

Look at many of the know-it-all jock-types on these message boards. Obviously concussed many times.

But seriously, the sport is much more dangerous than anyone ever thought, and it's going to become an all-minority sport like boxing.
My son played one season and he gladly took on soccer in comparison, which he enjoys and which provides ample comradery, fitness and opportunities to have collective goal setting and accomplishment.

Whether it has always been so unsafe or not, I am uncertain, but current equipment allows players, who are bigger, faster and stronger to create more dangerous forces. And coaches being who they are, don't realize what is occurring to the bodies of their players, and frankly don't care that much.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:51 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Could you imagine being Dustin Gabriel and reading the Gladwell article this evening?

Or worse, can you imagine Dustin's wife reading that article tonight?
Old 10-15-2009, 04:52 AM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The ironic thing is I got popped in the head twice tonight playing ball.

One of them was a very hard elbow to the back of the head that stunned me for a moment.

Even basketball has its risks (but not like football).
Old 10-15-2009, 05:42 AM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Here's a chat transcript with Gladwell.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...-gladwell.html

You can't help but suspect Gladwell is a bit of a douche. Like Garfunkel, with delusions of grandeur. And this topic is hardly original at this point. His timing is a bit off.

But I will say this, I drop into sports radio regularly during my commute. And I haven't heard a single mention of this issue.