cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2009, 10:07 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Expectations:

Many fan expectations may be reasonable, and many will be unreasonable. BYU expecting to win a national championship in football or basketball is unreasonable. BYU expecting to win one in men's volleyball is not.

However, for those who follow our program, it seems reasonable for BYU to win the conference title in years where the program has a senior, experienced quarterback, and some competent receivers and/or running backs.

Defensively, our teams have been all over the map. As Mike has adequately argued, our coaching staff is not spectacular, but not incompetent either. They don't lose too many games they shouldn't and don't win too many they shouldn't. So whatever the LDS demographics produce is the result we'll get.

This year, the team sported an experienced QB, some decent receivers at Tight End, a good RB, but failed when it counted against FSU and TCU. Failing to win the conference title in this year is a disappointment and a failure. Next year it will not be. Next year will likely be Utah's year.

This year TCU, even though it should have been BYU's. When is BYU's year next in the rotation? It might not be for a long time.

TCU and Utah have superior coaching staffs and won't be defeated except in the unlikely event injuries or BYU's talent just outshines those two programs. It pains me to acknowledge BYU's status as third fiddle in football. And in basketball, our failure to win Tourney games places us third fiddle to Utah and to UNLV.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:19 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Who are the senior leaders on the team?

Who are the senior on the team that worked their butts off because they were sick of losing to Utah and TCU?

I expect a few of them to be sucking on their thumbs as they receive their senior "blanket" [the most retarded tradition ever].
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:26 PM   #3
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Who are the senior leaders on the team?

Who are the senior on the team that worked their butts off because they were sick of losing to Utah and TCU?

I expect a few of them to be sucking on their thumbs as they receive their senior "blanket" [the most retarded tradition ever].
Our culture of niceness makes us soft and makes it difficult to find good, battle hardened leaders.

Roger French had weaknesses, but with French and Whittingham, you had some guys who didn't go soft on the players. It sounds like we have a bunch of boy scouts coaching the kids, great for firesides, but not so great at firing them up. There are no seniors this year whom I'll miss next year, but we may suffer next year too.

Utah will be more experienced and coached by Whit, and TCU will be replacing a QB but won't be relying upon offense next year. Plus the game will be in Fort Worth.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:44 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Umm, Andy Dalton is a junior. And he will not be going to the NFL after his junior season. At least I can't imagine that he would.

Looks like it will be a beat down in Fort Worth next season.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:56 PM   #5
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Umm, Andy Dalton is a junior. And he will not be going to the NFL after his junior season. At least I can't imagine that he would.

Looks like it will be a beat down in Fort Worth next season.
Oh, thanks for the downer. We're screwed for at least two more years. At least, Indy will be please with our mediocrity. He loves 10 and 2, 9 and 3 or even 8 and 4 seasons because they're above the median.

Last edited by Archaea; 11-03-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:15 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Oh, thanks for the downer. We're screwed for at least two more years. At least, Indy will be please with our mediocrity. He loves 10 and 2, 9 and 3 or even 8 and 4 seasons because they're above the median.
I love them too.

One of the benefits of not caring as much anymore, is that I don't get bummed out too much by the losses. I know what Indy's universe feels like now.