cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 11:02 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Status of Lamanites?

The exchange in the other thread about the arguably misguided good inentions of the Indian Placement Program, and memory of George P. Lee and his image as a Seventy, made me wonder: Is it fair to say the LDS church has for all intents and purposes abandoned the theology that Native Americans are all descendants of Lehi? I'm not being snarky, seriously wondering. It seems to me that if anything part of the apologist strategy is to make greatly less ambitious claims regarding Book of Mormon historicity (FARMS excluded). Do Church leaders ever refer to Native Americans as Lamanites anymore? I bet there's a letter on this somewhere from the First Presidency.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:08 PM   #2
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
The exchange in the other thread about the arguably misguided good inentions of the Indian Placement Program, and memory of George P. Lee and his image as a Seventy, made me wonder: Is it fair to say the LDS church has for all intents and purposes abandoned the theology that Native Americans are all descendants of Lehi? I'm not being snarky, seriously wondering. It seems to me that if anything part of the apologist strategy is to make greatly less ambitious claims regarding Book of Mormon historicity (FARMS excluded). Do Church leaders ever refer to Native Americans as Lamanites anymore? I bet there's a letter on this somewhere from the First Presidency.
I just checked my handy-dandy Book of Mormon, and that claim is still in the Intro.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:14 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I haven't seen any emphasis on the term, but neither have I listened to LDS authorities as they speak in South America, where the claim and term is likely to arise.

The main issue is the introduction of the BoM, where the term "principal ancestors of the American Indian" is used. It certainly isn't emphasized as it may have been in your day. For some reason, that intro was added in 1981. A strange addition where knowledge of genetics should have forewarned them of such a potentially erroneous claim.

Last edited by Archaea; 08-01-2007 at 11:45 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:17 PM   #4
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I just checked my handy-dandy Book of Mormon, and that claim is still in the Intro.
And it has been since 1981.

I don't think many within the church claims that every Native American is a full-blooded descendant of Lehi. There are just too many years, too much real estate, too many different civilizations, and too many questions left unanswered to make that kind of a blanket statement. That's not to say that Lehi didn't exist, that Laman and Lemuel werent' his sons, or that many Native Americans are descendants of that particular family.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:21 PM   #5
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Maybe the reason you don't hear it much anymore is because you don't hear much talk about Native Americans in general anymore.

Since SWK died, interest in Native Americans, at least in the U.S. has died down a bit it seems. He was their great champion.

Could be a different story in Central and South America though where NA's are a much bigger % of the population.

There may be some truth to your claim though about making LESS ambitious claims. I believe some or many NA's are descended at least partly from Lehi, but given the current DNA evidence (which IMO doesn't prove what its proponents say it proves), it may be wise to soften the claim that Lamanites are the PRINCIPAL ancestors of NA's.

Last edited by Venkman; 08-01-2007 at 11:34 PM.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:38 PM   #6
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
And it has been since 1981.
Only since 1981? That's interesting. That was apex of the great age of ambitious claims for Book of Mormon historicity.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:39 PM   #7
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
Since SWK died, interest in Native Americans, at least in the U.S. has died down a bit it seems. He was their great champion.
Actualy, since Kimball became the prophet. Many thought his presidency would hail the "Day of the Lamanite" but his emphasis was largely on other things.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:42 PM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Actualy, since Kimball became the prophet. Many thought his presidency would hail the "Day of the Lamanite" but his emphasis was largely on other things.
His status as Indian Apostle was before my membership. He certainly didn't emphasize that during the portion of his presidency after I joined.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:18 AM   #9
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Only since 1981? That's interesting. That was apex of the great age of ambitious claims for Book of Mormon historicity.
That's my understanding, anyway. The current publication of the Bible was done in 1979, I believe, with the Book of Mormon et al. published in a similar format in 1981.

Interestingly enough, my Pearl of Great Price teacher told the class that preparations are underway for a new publication of the scriptures. One of the differences that we will see is drastically reduced chapter headings and a reformed footnote system. He specifically cited excessive interpretation as a reason for the change to the chapter headings, though no names were mentioned. Thought that was interesting.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:52 AM   #10
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
That's my understanding, anyway. The current publication of the Bible was done in 1979, I believe, with the Book of Mormon et al. published in a similar format in 1981.

Interestingly enough, my Pearl of Great Price teacher told the class that preparations are underway for a new publication of the scriptures. One of the differences that we will see is drastically reduced chapter headings and a reformed footnote system. He specifically cited excessive interpretation as a reason for the change to the chapter headings, though no names were mentioned. Thought that was interesting.

If they're making major changes, I wish they'd go to a better Bible translation than the KJV.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote