cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TCU v. BYU

I can make arguments about who will win. And although I would not be surprised for either team to win, BYU's troubles with SDSU concern me. TCU is lightyears better than SDSU and can do everything which SDSU could.

Kerley could torch us, Dalton concerns me and Hughes could be a nightmare.

TCU has defeated BYU in Provo.

If BYU shows some tenacity, makes some stops, does not fall behind quickly, then BYU has enough talent and skill to win.

However, Hall has not thrown a pick in two games against lesser opponents. Has he learned his lessons, or is it just the nonquality of the opponents?

In TCU, he's facing a legitimate defense, with speed, talent, coaching and schemes.

I also don't know Anae's gameplan. Well I'm curious because I just don't know what to predict.

I see a win by TCU, but perhaps a further analysis may let me see why BYU should win, other than I want them to win.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:17 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

We'll have a pretty good idea by Sunday.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
Archaea

yes we will.

Given the non-hostile environment and the fact no surprises may be in order, do you think the troops will be prepared?
Old 10-21-2009, 10:39 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not a good person to ask since I have not watched any of the games on the mtn. Nor have I seen TCU play this year.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:51 AM   #5
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm not a good person to ask since I have not watched any of the games on the mtn. Nor have I seen TCU play this year.
That's never stopped you before, what's bothering a sense of honor?
Old 10-22-2009, 02:30 PM   #6
BYUsportsguy

BYUsportsguy is on a distinguished road

Prediction: BYU 28 TCU 24

Why this is bad: TCU losing pulls the MWC out of the Top Ten without enough pressure to put BYU back in. The only chance would then be for BYU to win out and hope more top ten teams lose at least one as several have done.

Why this is good: We're BYU fans, for the most part, right? We like winning?

Why BYU will win: National attention in Provo crushed the Cougs against FSU. The team now sees TCU as a big rival, 2nd only to Utah now. It's understandable for the Cougs to struggle a little against the weaker teams because it's way tougher to get psyched up to play against UNLV and SDSU because you don't win any points in the nation by beating them, it's just expected. With BYU as the "underdog", playing at home, hosting ESPN, the place is going to come alive and we'll see plays that Anae has been waiting all season to unleash in preparation for this game.

Why BYU could lose: The pressure could be too much, and sloppy play could cause turnovers which if the difference gives TCU at least 2 more than BYU gets, it would probably be enough to give TCU at least one decisive offensive drive to put up some unanswered points. If TCU gets up early by a difference of 14+ points at the half, some of the team members won't be able to recover from that mentally, although I trust that Hall will handle himself alright and could make things happen.

Since TCU has only beaten a couple of mediocre ACC teams (Virginia 3-3, Clemson 3-3) they still have legitimacy to prove. Their offense has performed well on the road, but if the Cougar defense that beat OU shows up for this game, TCU will find the lanes closed and the receivers covered.
BYUsportsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:32 PM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYUsportsguy View Post
Prediction: BYU 28 TCU 24

Why this is bad: TCU losing pulls the MWC out of the Top Ten without enough pressure to put BYU back in. The only chance would then be for BYU to win out and hope more top ten teams lose at least one as several have done.

Why this is good: We're BYU fans, for the most part, right? We like winning?

Why BYU will win: National attention in Provo crushed the Cougs against FSU. The team now sees TCU as a big rival, 2nd only to Utah now. It's understandable for the Cougs to struggle a little against the weaker teams because it's way tougher to get psyched up to play against UNLV and SDSU because you don't win any points in the nation by beating them, it's just expected. With BYU as the "underdog", playing at home, hosting ESPN, the place is going to come alive and we'll see plays that Anae has been waiting all season to unleash in preparation for this game.

Why BYU could lose: The pressure could be too much, and sloppy play could cause turnovers which if the difference gives TCU at least 2 more than BYU gets, it would probably be enough to give TCU at least one decisive offensive drive to put up some unanswered points. If TCU gets up early by a difference of 14+ points at the half, some of the team members won't be able to recover from that mentally, although I trust that Hall will handle himself alright and could make things happen.

Since TCU has only beaten a couple of mediocre ACC teams (Virginia 3-3, Clemson 3-3) they still have legitimacy to prove. Their offense has performed well on the road, but if the Cougar defense that beat OU shows up for this game, TCU will find the lanes closed and the receivers covered.
Is anybody concerned that the flu bug which is repeatedly discussed over the past weeks is worse than is being disclosed?

What factor does a flu bug amongst players have?
Old 10-22-2009, 11:45 PM   #8
bluelands

bluelands is on a distinguished road

To me the game feels like OUII. After watching the defense last year, I could not figure out how the Cougars could beat the Sooners without Oklahoma turning the ball over all night. But OU went conservative and the defense showed up big time.

Since the Tulane game, I've been trying to think of a way BYU's defense can shutdown Kerley in the super frog or whatever they call their wildcat offense. He shredded BYU last year. I'll never get the images of Fowler and Jensen dropping into coverage at the snap of the ball leaving the entire middle wide open for Kerley to zig-zag his way into the end zone.

But this is another big game BYU should be up for. Maybe the defense comes together for another great inspired performance. Who knows what effect the flu will have on either team, but I'm hoping for a great game. BYU 27-TCU 21.
bluelands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:57 PM   #9
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelands View Post
To me the game feels like OUII. After watching the defense last year, I could not figure out how the Cougars could beat the Sooners without Oklahoma turning the ball over all night. But OU went conservative and the defense showed up big time.

Since the Tulane game, I've been trying to think of a way BYU's defense can shutdown Kerley in the super frog or whatever they call their wildcat offense. He shredded BYU last year. I'll never get the images of Fowler and Jensen dropping into coverage at the snap of the ball leaving the entire middle wide open for Kerley to zig-zag his way into the end zone.

But this is another big game BYU should be up for. Maybe the defense comes together for another great inspired performance. Who knows what effect the flu will have on either team, but I'm hoping for a great game. BYU 27-TCU 21.
I call it TCU 28 BYU 21, hoping to jinx TCU.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:25 AM   #10
BYUsportsguy

BYUsportsguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I call it TCU 28 BYU 21, hoping to jinx TCU.
With that disclaimer, you can get away with that prediction...
BYUsportsguy is offline   Reply With Quote