cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2009, 03:08 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Perhaps Bronco is not

as dumb as we portray him.

I'm not convinced his recruiting stratagem will get us to the promised BCS land, but his decision to minimize turnovers by not trusting Hall turned out to be damn near prophetic.

He needs to emphasize speed a great deal more than he does in recruiting, and he doesn't big game it, but in Hall, he had a QB who has a propensity to self-destruct, so he didn't gameplan to include Hall. Smart play.

Maybe next year we'll have a young, inexperienced QB, who will lose some games, but who still will have the moxy to avoid untimely turnovers. I liked Feterik more than I liked Hall. Something about him just isn't right. I liked Sark a lot more than Hall.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:23 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

No, BYU coaches do not get credit for Hall's debacle. There are ways to work with a mediocre no-confidence QB, and Saturday was not it (as demonstrated by the stats). Short throws, screens. Three step drops.

One problem with Hall is poor arm strength. Really has a hard time getting the ball out to the WRs on quick timing routes. I think that's one reason you see a lot of passes over the middle to stationary targets--easiest throws to make. This lack of arm strength is the deal-breaker that doesn't allow Max to even get a sniff of the NFL in my opinion.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:48 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
No, BYU coaches do not get credit for Hall's debacle. There are ways to work with a mediocre no-confidence QB, and Saturday was not it (as demonstrated by the stats). Short throws, screens. Three step drops.

One problem with Hall is poor arm strength. Really has a hard time getting the ball out to the WRs on quick timing routes. I think that's one reason you see a lot of passes over the middle to stationary targets--easiest throws to make. This lack of arm strength is the deal-breaker that doesn't allow Max to even get a sniff of the NFL in my opinion.
Riley doesn't have arm strength. I don't know what Heaps reputation is, nor Munns, but perhaps they could either find a guy with a jet or a guy with a rocket, as the days of lobbing it out there in the old days when backs were not as quick. BYU's weak armed QBs might not make it today. Young would obviously still be able to play but how many others?