cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-16-2008, 10:26 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default More Road Rage

So today I hoped to ride a peaceful 130 miler, but it started out inauspiciously, with my riding partner flatting early and me following suit soon thereafter.

We stopped at a convenience and noticed a couple, one guy without a shirt but not making a big deal of it.

So we climbed Sunrise pass into Lake Mead, a modes little hill into the Lake Mead area. I started gaining a bit of ground, when I heard a thud, and then the sound of what seemed to be a car tire flatting. Suddenly I see a car speed around me slow down, notice me and fly like a bat out of hell up and over the hill.

In the next moment, a driver in a black car scream ahead of me and then slam on his brakes. The driver jumped out of his car screaming at me, telling he would slam his foot upside my head. So I grabbed my phone to call police, no service.

For some reason the idiot drove off.

Next a motorcyclist comes up to me and asks me if I was riding with the two riders who were just hit by the maroon Grand Marquis. I asked the rider if he could chase down the car with the flat tire, so he peeled after the car.

I ride down the hill to my unconscious friend, whose wife was there with him, calling the ambulance.

The motorcyclist returns having spotted the car hightailing it several miles into the desert, abandoning the car, taking contraband or something from the trunk, and splitting.

Later the supposed "driver" a Latin female, obviously intoxicated stumbles over the investigating police, stating a bunch of incoherent nonsense. She's arrested on the spot, handcuffed, first denying other passengers and then explaining he's gone. So the police take the dogs looking for a fugitive with possible drug connections.

My buddy's bike is totaled, ride ruined, wife in shock, and some idiot is trying to kill me as well. What did we stumble into, a Columbian drug cartel?

After that, we went to the convenience store to obtain photos to pursue the male companion. The rest of the day was spent in investigations and at the hospital.

Ride shortened significantly and day ruined.

Other than that, nothing special. How was your day?

Monday, I'm applying for a CWP. I've changed my mind.