cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 05:23 PM   #1
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point
Default getting a mtb for the wife..

which one?! she doesn't do too much riding, but she wants to at least go out with me and have some fun. we live too close to the mountains, park city and other trails not to take advantage... that's how we are looking at it anyway.

The $600 Bonita
http://www.rei.com/product/744738

or

The $400 Piedra
http://www.rei.com/product/730454

Thoughts?!
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:29 PM   #2
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
which one?! she doesn't do too much riding, but she wants to at least go out with me and have some fun. we live too close to the mountains, park city and other trails not to take advantage... that's how we are looking at it anyway.

The $600 Bonita
http://www.rei.com/product/744738

or

The $400 Piedra
http://www.rei.com/product/730454

Thoughts?!

My advice is don't buy from REI. They are over proced and you won't get the best service. There are lots of good bikes in that price range.
I suggest you go to Canyon Sports (not Canyon Bicycles) and talk to Sam. He is the most knowledgable bike person i have ever met. He will give you great service and really help you make a good choice. They sell Jamis and Raleigh and I think one or 2 others.
They are located across the street from the Wild Oats in your area.
Remember, when you buy a bike, you are also buying the support from the store that sold it. REI sucks in that regard.
Quisqueyano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:06 PM   #3
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisqueyano View Post
My advice is don't buy from REI. They are over proced and you won't get the best service. There are lots of good bikes in that price range.
I suggest you go to Canyon Sports (not Canyon Bicycles) and talk to Sam. He is the most knowledgable bike person i have ever met. He will give you great service and really help you make a good choice. They sell Jamis and Raleigh and I think one or 2 others.
They are located across the street from the Wild Oats in your area.
Remember, when you buy a bike, you are also buying the support from the store that sold it. REI sucks in that regard.
the canyon sports down off highland right? we went to the canyon sports above wasatch next to the barbacoa and dan's, but the service sucked and the kid didn't know very much.. compared to the advice i get here anyway. the only problem with going anywhere buy REI is that nobody carries midget bikes in stock... my wife is 5'0" on a good day. REI does. I guess anybody can order in stuff... i just haven't asked.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:15 PM   #4
mtnbiker310

mtnbiker310

Check out my message in the "Mountain Bikes..." thread about the chance to demo some nice bikes this Sat. with Bike Peddler of Am. Fork. Demo location is Lambert Park in Alpine.

My wife is 5'1", and got a Santa Cruz Juliana from Bike Peddler. Really good bike, but might be more bike than your wife needs. They can get other bikes in small sizes, too.
mtnbiker310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:37 PM   #5
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker310 View Post
Check out my message in the "Mountain Bikes..." thread about the chance to demo some nice bikes this Sat. with Bike Peddler of Am. Fork. Demo location is Lambert Park in Alpine.

My wife is 5'1", and got a Santa Cruz Juliana from Bike Peddler. Really good bike, but might be more bike than your wife needs. They can get other bikes in small sizes, too.
Bike Peddler is also a good shop. They sell Specialized, Cannondale (2 of my favorites) and Santa Cruz.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:38 PM   #6
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
the canyon sports down off highland right? we went to the canyon sports above wasatch next to the barbacoa and dan's, but the service sucked and the kid didn't know very much.. compared to the advice i get here anyway. the only problem with going anywhere buy REI is that nobody carries midget bikes in stock... my wife is 5'0" on a good day. REI does. I guess anybody can order in stuff... i just haven't asked.
No. You are talking about Canyon Bicycles. They are horrible. I am talking about Canyon Sports on Ft. Union. Just south of the Wild Oats. Talk to Sam.
BTW, are we still on for tomorrow?
Old 06-14-2007, 01:13 AM   #7
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisqueyano View Post
No. You are talking about Canyon Bicycles. They are horrible. I am talking about Canyon Sports on Ft. Union. Just south of the Wild Oats. Talk to Sam.
BTW, are we still on for tomorrow?
Yeah, that's where i'm talking about... sorry... just west of highland drive. we went there and talked to sam.. we didn't talk to sam until after we were helped by another sales person though. a younger guy, but he knew a little bit. they were very helpful. sam's a really cool guy. he was hard to keep on track though.. i took my wife and little baby so my wife could 'approve' of the color of the bike, but sam seemed to get stuck on the little buggies and accessories so my daughter could come on rides with us. i actually found a pretty good mountain bike for the price... so i may buy my bike there... i ended up getting my wife the novara bonita. she hasn't had a new bike since she was a little kid and she's excited to do this with me.. of course this gives me the go ahead to get a mountain bike too so that's good for me!

about tomorrow... unfortunately i won't be able to go. and i have the day off from work too so that's a bummer. i'm taking care of the my kid until 2 and then i have a bunch of errands to run, besides that, I haven't worked on my climbing at all... next thursday?!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Old 06-14-2007, 01:18 AM   #8
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker310 View Post

if i have time on saturday, i'll run down there.. thanks for the heads up!

"I'm on my beater bike"