cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2019, 05:16 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A friend was just called as a General Authority

Not a close friend. But a friend from college (BYU).

I really liked him. Good guy, gave me encouragement and friendship during the time I knew him.

Anyway, mentioned to my wife that he had been called as a general authority. She said "that's weird." She didn't really know him. I asked why weird? She said because of the proximity to me.

I said not so weird. When he got married while attending BYU there were several general authorities in attendance. I believe his father was a general authority of some kind (area 70?). Also his in-laws were very wealthy and prominent members.

I explained that he's a known quantity, he comes vetted. People know him. You don't call random people you have never met before. You call people that have good character, that have done well in their prior callings, where either you know him, or you know people who know him well. That gives you confidence that he will be able to represent the church and do well. And of course you rely on inspiration to affirm this choice.

I'm looking forward to hearing him speak in conference some day. And he might end up an apostle. Who knows. And I think that would likely be a great thing.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote